1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bonin in the Boneyard with a Rick...

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by robkphoto, Mar 25, 2009.

1. robkphoto

robkphoto

Jan 28, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Everyone should check out this youtube clip as it features one of the sickest slap bass lines in history being played pretty close to perfectly on a Rick 4001. Major props to this guy! Very nice job!

I had a 1980 4001 almost exactly like the one in this video (Burgundiglo) and I got rid of it because I wanted something more slappable. Bad decision all the way around that I have regretted ever since.

Enjoy!

Cheers!

2. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Pretty cool. Gotta say his time is way off a lot of the time, but his tone, attack, and consistent levels with that difficult material were impressive.

3. robkphoto

robkphoto

Jan 28, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Yeah, it's not flawless but a commendable try. I don't know if anyone but Norwood Fisher knows exactly what's going on in that bassline. They played my school when I was in College in around 1989 and Norwood played the whole show wearing nothing but one of those velcro towels that you wrap around yourself after a workout or something. He had his bass down around knee height.

4. That was so cool! Thanks for sharing that. I love that song and have tried to fiquire out that bass line for a long time. This video will help. Kudos to that guy who played it. And on a Rick to boot.

5. Rob's a true Living Room Rock God, just as he labels himself. Modest dude who learns everything by ear. This was, as usual, quite impressive.

If you want to see something truly CRAZY, scope him covering Coroner's "Mistress of Deception." The harmonic minor runs after the chorus are RIDICULOUS. Dude always gets killer Ric tone, too.

6. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    Practically any talkbasser who hasn't seen Norwood perform owes themself the favor. Go see Fishbone (or Trulio Disgracias) NOW because I can't believe they've kept the show on the road THIS long!

7. robkphoto

robkphoto

Jan 28, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    I love that right hand technique he uses. Pretty sick. I can't do that!

8. BassRookie

BassRookie

Mar 31, 2009
    Middletown, NJ
    I just found this if anyone is interested. It's a "how to" for Bonin' in the Boneyard

Funky Ass Bass

Yeah, it's alright, YEAH!!!:bassist:

9. btrag

btrag

Mar 7, 2005
    Chicago
    I've seen them live eight times now. Norwood Fisher plays a Warwick five string now, with Warwick cabs. The guy has hands the size of my feet! He slaps with what appears to be an open palm. I was gawking at him from six feet away while they played Boneyard, and I still couldn't figure out what he was doing.

That Truth & Soul album is what inspired me to play bass. Other songs with insane basslines are Pouring Rain and One Day. Pure F-U-N-K.