Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Books - whats next after Bass for Dummies

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Frijoles Negros, Jun 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frijoles Negros

Frijoles Negros

Mar 21, 2004
    I just got "Bass for Dummes" last night. It looks good and covers the fundamentals well. I recommend it to all of us dummies.

But, I can use about the second half of it and Im going to be on the lookout for a new instructional book. I figure a well rounded approach covering fundamentals is always the best approach.

Whats next?

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  3. Frijoles Negros

Frijoles Negros

Mar 21, 2004
  4. The only bass books I have is the Bass for Dummies too!

I think the book is quite practical.

Probably my next book will be more on theories or improvisation.

5. Frijoles Negros

Frijoles Negros

Mar 21, 2004
    I like it too. I thumbed through Guitar for dummies, thinking, "This is exactly what my guitar player needs."

The "for dummies" series puts out great foundation material.

6. I love the section on different genres of grooves, together with sample basslines.

But its lacking on Chord Changes though...

Not the Jazz/Blues for Dummies books, however...

7. Frijoles Negros

Frijoles Negros

Mar 21, 2004
    Im with you here, hence the need for a new book.

Didnt see the blues/jazz book
    I was thinking about stuff like GRE for dummies and such.

8. H2ODog

H2ODog

Sep 30, 2003
    Roseville, CA
    I started playing six months ago and I bought and read the "Bass for dummies" and found it to be very helpful. I just bought the "Idiots guide to music theory" and it's been very helpful so far. If you are interested in theory it would be a good start.

9. Frijoles Negros

Frijoles Negros

Mar 21, 2004
    Thats a good idea.

10. These book titles aren't very good for self-esteem :D Calling us idiots and dummies............

Oh well, I suggest any of the Berklee Press books and Mel Bay's Bass Method 1 and 2. The Mel Bay books will get you up and sight reading in no time, a very important skill to have.

Oh yeah and EADG4 is great if you want to learn theory.

11. If you like scales, try out the "Bass Grimoire"

12. Frijoles Negros

Frijoles Negros

Mar 21, 2004
    I started out on that one. It really did have me sight reading in no time.

Bobb- i have to see if I cant lok through that one.

13. H2ODog

H2ODog

Sep 30, 2003
    Roseville, CA

Yea, i agree that the titles leave something to be desired but you have to look and evaluate the content and take it from there. If i feel it's written in a way that i can understand the material it's worth going through the BS of putting up with the title. Ok, so i wear a paper bag over my head at the check out just in case i want to come back for another book some day :p

14. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I also have "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Music Theory" which I bought even though i have several theory books, including Mark Levine's "Jazz Theory." As you are just beginning, I think the "Idiot's Guide" is the better way to start.

Also I would recommend "Gary Willis "Ultimate Ear Training for Guitar and Bass." This book comes witha CD to play along with the drills. You won't learn just "ear training" in this week. You will also learn theory at the same time you learn the ear training.

Lastly, I would say any book by Gary Willis or Ed Friedland is well worth the money.

15. Frijoles Negros

Frijoles Negros

Mar 21, 2004
    Ear training sounds nice. Sounds like every time I play without sheet music its about ear training. Sometimes miss sightreading Jazz. So straightforward.

16. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.