1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bootsy's Funk University

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by JAUQO III-X, Mar 11, 2010.

1. line6bassist

line6bassist Supporting Member

May 16, 2009
    san antonio/austin
    sign me up :hyper:

2. I'm definitely interested in this! I signed up for their list immediately.

3. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Awesome. I can dig it.

Also, it's a sensible direction for him to go, to keep a steady income as he ages. He's a smart businessman.

4. Craig_S

Craig_S Inactive

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    Leave it to Bootsy. Funk - U lol!

5. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Funny - I just saw a thread about Gene Simmons getting kids to play bass...

When I was 16, *Bootsie* was the reason I dug in to the bass. Who ya gonna listen to about bass - Gene or Bootzilla?

'nuff said.

6. Kipaste

Kipaste

Jun 27, 2006
    Helsinki, Finland
    That is very interesting indeed. I wonder what kind of prices they are going to ask for.. Somehow that one page they had gives me an impression that it might not be that cheap. Who knows. I did send my email addy, but no response yet.

I bet you get a cool diploma afterwards. I'd certainly include it in my CV, even when applying for a day job.

7. really hopin to do this, got nothin better hapening this summer :p

8. bottomzone

bottomzone Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2005
    Thank you!!!! I just signed up for the email list.... baby bobba!

A Groove is a Terrible Thing to Waste! :cool:

9. rubber_ritchie

rubber_ritchie

Feb 2, 2008
    London
    What's it about? What are the fees. My instinct says it's not going to be great. The best players don't make the best teachers. Check out Fleas' instructional video. :ninja:

10. I haven't forked over any money yet but I'm seriously interested in this.

11. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Inactive

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    So far over 900 people have signed up

I'm sure there will be many who will benefit.

I'm sure some benefited from what Flea had to share.

12. sonofabass

sonofabass

Feb 10, 2006
    California
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Mike Lull,MXR,Gruv Gear, Mono
    here' s some "sacrilege" . don't get me wrong - I love Bootsy as much as any other bassist but er uh - there's really no "magic fairy dust" on "the one" - not really.
    Any musician - let alone bassist - who doesn't understand the concept of "ONE" need not be a musician. :)

Just my respectful 2 cents. All Hail Bootsy

YES - I signed up for a months worth out of shear curiosity. So far - not really impressed.

13. soupcandan

soupcandan

Jul 2, 2010
    Academic Director, Bootsy Collins' Funk University
    If it is alright with everyone, I am willing to answer any questions and to clarify what our mission is and is not.

sonofabass, thank you for giving us an opportunity to share what we have to offer, I hope we have made a more favorable impression in the time between your post and today. If you still aren't down with us, that's cool.

We knew going in, that our curriculum wouldn't be everything for everyone. The One is what you make it, and we chose to start with it because it IS the start. It's the first number counted, no matter what time signature; it's the turning point in Bootsy's music career, (when James Brown explained it to him.); it has become a way to live life for some; and it is the motto and rally cry for myself and the team putting this school together.

For us, Being on the One translates, as doing our very best to deliver a program that is constantly improving, uniquely based on the real world knowledge, experiences and skills of some of the greatest musicians in the world; taught straight from the heart. But that's just us, 1 is also the number that comes before 2.

"If you want what we got, it's yours. If you don't, that's cool too." - Bootsy

Soup Can

14. I wish they could lower the prices for those who are in college at the moment. Cuz the Funk University sounds and looks amazing and worth the money but Im trying to stay alive in College.

15. soupcandan

soupcandan

Jul 2, 2010
    Academic Director, Bootsy Collins' Funk University
    UprigBassJunkie,

I hear you. When I was at B.I.T., I had over 25 different recipes that disguise the fact that the main ingredient is ALWAYS Kraft Mac & Cheese, 2 years ago, one morning, I woke up on the wrong side of the recession and my recipes have come in quite handy ever since.

We have done everything that we could to keep tuition affordable, yet make the school as amazing, content-filled, and bandwidth rich, as possible. If you are proposing a student discount, I will forward the idea up to the Mothership.

"Music is your own experience, your thoughts, your wisdom. If you don't live it, it won't come out of your horn." - Charlie Parker

16. Thanks Soupcandan, Let me know if something happens!

17. I'm with you there. I watched that initial clip....

'Here's the one.. you know... that's the funk... you know... and you know... you can add some stuff and... you know... mix it up.... you know'.

Pretty lame. A great player often does not make a good teacher.

18. Johnius

Johnius

Dec 5, 2007
    I did a thread on this the other day. I paid for the first month of classes and haven't gotten anything that improved my playing knowledge of funk. I said earlier the format is 80% lecture on stuff of questionable relevancy and 20% random tab lines. I wanted the experience to shed more light, and in a way it has.

The school is very well thought out, planned and intended. I'm just not sure if what they are trying to teach can be taught.

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 1, 2020