1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Boss Bass EQ

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassplayer4893, Apr 25, 2009.

1. bassplayer4893

bassplayer4893

Dec 6, 2007
    Hi,

I got quite a few questions:
    I got a new Boss GEB-7 Bass Equalizer and I was wondering if anyone has any cool settings that they would like to share, it's a very confusing pedal for me. I knew the first bands are for the low end and the last bands are for the high ends.
    And, does anyone got a setting that sounds like Cliff Burton, Justin Chancellor, or Tim Commerford?

Thanks,
    Jason B.

2. It doesn't work that way.
    It's all about the bass you're playing - and the settings on your amp. It's only going to shape the tone you feed it. But I find the key is always about the mids, and resisting the urge to simply boom out the room.

The key is to never outrageously boost any single band. Cut the others instead to keep your noise levels as low as possible.;)
    It's only an EQ. Many of the pro's have very elaborate rigs with multiple EQ's for highs and lows etc, and clean and dirty.etc.

I personally like using mine as a solo volume boost - using it to accentuate the ~500Hz range without it getting too woolly an woofy.

3. lowbass68

lowbass68

Feb 3, 2008
    Well said. I have 2 GEB-7 pedals. One I use mainly as a boost in the loop with my older EHX BMS to match the sound level to the bypassed signal. The second I use as a very mild mid-scope for some songs, mainly to add a different shape to my dirt pedals.
    A small tweek to any band makes a huge difference, so I don't get crazy with it.

4. bassplayer4893

bassplayer4893

Dec 6, 2007
    Haha thanks guys, this accually helped! I love this site. Like I'm trying to get a dirty signal and I'm boosting the first 3 bands for low end and since I have only a 12 watt Ibanez amp, it sounds terrible, and when I bring the level a few notches, it doesn't make a difference to my tone.

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Sounds like you need an amp upgrade, more than any pedals.

6. bassplayer4893

bassplayer4893

Dec 6, 2007
    Oh yeah definatly, amps are so much yet pedals are so cheap, so when I have enough for a pedal, I take the amp out of my mind and buy the pedal. If I sold all my pedals, then I would get around $600 to $800. But I know that theses pedals will do good in the future. Do you know and good bass amp combos? (Not amp and cab, but both)

7. theunknowndude

theunknowndude Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2007
    Adelaide, Australia
    that dependant on what your using it for, most people recommend about 200-300w combo's if your doing a medium sized rock gig, I know ashdown does a few combo's in that range,...

like has been said the EQ pedal is good for a slight change when needed ie say slapping, so you can just have the eq set up then stomp on it and not have to worry about fiddling with your amp,...

and although effects are awesome, bear in mind that the basics of your rig need to be done first, these should just be the sugar on top for the most part :)

8. lowbass68

lowbass68

Feb 3, 2008
    So many good ones to choose from and so many factors to consider: Whats the price range? Wattage? Speaker size and type? Any special features you require?

I use a modd'ed Sunn Beta Bass Combo that is only 100w into 2x10" and is about 25 years old. It has an excellent patch bay so I can use a larger slave for more power. I perfer older amps.

Try looking thru the amp forum for some good info and advice on amps.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15

9. bassplayer4893

bassplayer4893

Dec 6, 2007
    Yeah thanks man, I was looking for a small Ampeg, but then I want the best there is. I don't care about features, I just want a really good amp that last long and great in tone. It doesn't have to be Ampeg. I wish I could get a Mesa Boogie, that's my dream amp and cab, they are the best!

10. it seems to me that you're very new about the whole thing, isn't it? Not in amillion years a single eq pedal would get you close to the tone of a guy who a) uses a zillion doller bass b) uses two amps for dirt and one separate for clean, mixed together b) uses a crapload of effects. All in all, that pedal is very useful in due context. The cutting instead of boosting approach is correct. It's all about an equilibrium between all the hertz bands.

11. lowbass68

lowbass68

Feb 3, 2008
    I learned long ago, there is no best. What works for one player and gives great sounds, may not for another player. Gotta try a lot of equipment at music stores, friends, etc. Never try equipment with a preconceived perception or it will color your decision. If I try equipment in a store, I try not to think of the brand, just concentrate on the sound in my head and can I get it thru to the speaker.

12. bassplayer4893

bassplayer4893

Dec 6, 2007
  13. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    That GK rig would be a huge improvement. The Goldline cabs aren't the greatest, but the Backline head gets alot of love here. Certainly would be a good next step.

14. jufros

jufros

Nov 24, 2008
    Humble advice: sell pedals and buy a GK Backline 600 and a Seismic Audio cab on ebay. Keep the GEB-7. The GK is great quality and the SA's are stupid cheap ($120-150) and actually sound really good. I picked one up because I needed a cheap cab for and intended to sell it afterwards, figuring I could recoup half the dough. I tried out some other cabs with my rig and I bought another cab from them instead. Called them up to ask about power ratings and got some advice about how best to eq their cabs. Excellent and honest customer service.

You can get good results from the GEB in a live rig if you cut 50hz and 4khz and boost 400 and 800hz. I don't use mine at the moment but I didn't sell it, figuring I would throw it back on the board for a slapping/scooping preset if I never needed one.

15. bassplayer4893

bassplayer4893

Dec 6, 2007
    Thanks bro, and I was surprised how cheap the amp and cab were together, just think if I buy them separately, wow! You see, I'm only 16, you guys know how teens are like me. Plus I don't know SOME of the stuff that I am doing. Once I get into m mid 20's and get a real lifetime job, just wait to see what happens. I'm going to have the best rig "I" could possibly get, all the effects I want. And maybe soon, I'll make my own fender bass, that's one of my goals, to make a black fender jazz with a gold shinny scratchplate, that would look sick, but now I'm going off topic here. I know GK's are good amps and cabs, coming from a 12 watt Ibanez starters amp, this is big! (And I am not going to sell my pedals!) lol