Boss ME-50B problem

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mikeluch, Jan 24, 2005.

1. mikeluch

mikeluch Gold Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2004
    Ocala, FL
    I was wondering if anyone has had problems with the Me 50 B.
    I used to play thru a Nemesis 210 and recently purchased an Ampeg B 100r. I had used the Nemesis with the Boss pedal and didn't encounter ant problems. I recently bought the Me 50b (a differnt one than I was using with the Nemisis) and tried it thru the Ampeg and Drive/ Synth section sound horrible. It cuts out and doesn't have any volume particularly on the saw lead and distortion settings.
    Has anyone else encountered this problem? Thanks for the help!
  2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Well, if by problem you mean that the synth sounds are bad then yes.
    They're not very good on it, but the overdrives and distortions are very good.
  3. andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Word has spread, synths in both the GT-6B and ME-50B suck big time. And the only usable "distortion" model is the bass overdrive, which is modeled after the Boss unit. Back to the ME-8B!

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    You are of course entitled to your opinion, but I disagree strongly. The overdrives/distortions on the me-50b are the best I've heard on a multi-fx unit. I've owned just about every prior boss, digitech,zoom multifx unit at some point in time, and this is the first time I've been able to get a proper mild overdrive or distortion without losing low end.
    I'm not saying the me8b doesn't have it's pluses, just that maybe you didn't spend enough time with the me50b
  5. andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    While owning the GT-6B (almost for a year) I had an ME-50B for one month and found exactly the same limitations. I think it's a question of taste. I only liked the classical bass overdrive model and found the rest to be pure fuzz. And, of course, you can keep the bass' low end if you have a blend control parameter :), but that's not the only think I look for on overdriven sounds. Fortunately my quest is over with my RBI.

6. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    Why are there so many bad bass synth sounds and so few goods ones? WHY!!!!!!!
  7. BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I've been intrigued by the ME-50B but haven't tried one yet. From this board, I've learned that the synth sounds are not that good but the other effects seem to be well liked. How about the octave up and down functions/sounds? Are they very good/useful?
  8. I agree, all effects but the synths are very good (unless your a fan of extremly low fi ****ed up sound)
    I especially love the high band drive, and the delay's are also SUPER !

octave up = not so good
    octave down = superb
  9. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    It all seems to work pretty good except of course the synths.
    It's a nice unit and is built Ford tough. :) I even like the wah. I only have my Zoom708 to compare it to so thats not saying a lot.
  10. I agree.

The octave down sounds pretty good, but the octave up sounds like a ray gun from a cheap sci-fi movie.

So far I like the compressor set on either 1600 soft, or the D-comp setting.

More testing tonight.

11. Samurai

Sep 13, 2003
    I don't like the octave up sound either, but you can tame it down to get a really nice sound that I use quite a bit.
  12. danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I thought one of those synth sounds was okay, but I think I also had the chorus going, and come to think of it, I was doing the "bass whammy" thing with the expression pedal, too. Come to think of it, I probably would never use it outside of my bedroom. Still, the other stuff was why I bought the ME-50B in the first place. If it had a DI, it would be perfect for me.
  13. what do you mean? what pedal were you using with the Nemesis?
    was it ANOTHER ME50B ? :confused:
    or a completely boss pedal alltogether?

By the way, what do you think of the Nemesis? I was going to buy one of those combos a while ago... they looked good value for money.

as far as the effects go, any Multi-FX will require you to mess around with it for a while before you get it sounding the way you want to, and usually to get a good sound on a (Example:) Octave Up patch you usually need to blend it with some other effect to get it just right... it might be as simple as adding the right compression, a touch of reverb or something else... those effects dont usually sound good by themselves...

The effects I like the least in my ME50b are the synths, really, havent found a use for them at all... the distortions are ok, though I still use my big muff Pi for the fuzz, but the overdrive and the natural are sweet. the various compressions are pretty cool too, mostly use natural compression, what I really bought the unit for though were the other effects, chorus, reverb, phaser, flanger, all good quality IMO. :hyper: