Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

boss odb3

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by thedarksession, Jun 12, 2005.

1. i really need a good bass overdrive without it sounding too cheesy. i already have a sansamp bass DI but i don't like the sound of that overdriven. i just want to add a good bass overdrive pedal to my tube emulated sansamp sound. is the boss a good choice, or are there any better pedals? :)

2. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    I find that the overdrive is more of a fuzzy-over the top type of overdrive and its hardly versitile. I own the pedal and I just use it as a volume-low end booster when I kick on my (old style) Marshall Guv'Nor. The Fulltone bass driver is more expensive but I think its more versitile and might give you the tone your thinking of but the only way to really tell is to play one for yourself because you might like one or the either.

3. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    I have one and I like the sound of it a lot. Of course there are better pedals, but you would have to spend more money.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The boss is a good choice if you like the sound, that's really the only thing that matters.
    Personally, I don't like it. Mostly because it's more a distortion than an overdrive. But if you like it, that's cool.
    I'd suggest looking at the distortion/od pedal review thread linked to in the faq thread stickied at the top of the forum.

5. its not a bad pedal, i have one, i can get a few cool sounds i like out of it. however, it works MUCH better on passive basses. because of the not-true bypass, my active sounded crappy when the pedal was off.

6. bfitz

bfitz

May 18, 2005
    lorain, ohio
    i played through that for a long time. i really swear by boss stuff. for the money, it sounds good, but i remember that i had to play around with it for a while to get the sound that i wanted, which is my fault becase i am horible at any electronic equipment

7. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I have the ODB-3 and find it too "synthy", especially in a live situation. For overdrive I prefer tube screamer clones suck as the Fulltone Bassdrive or, my current favorite, the Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive. Both sound great through a SansAmp.

For a bit more fuzz, the Big Muff is a good choice.

8. I tried out a Electroharmonix big muff pi in the store the other day, granted it was the guitar version (bass one is being ordered for me) but i loved the sound of its overdrive, the tone control on it gives you a few distinct types of fuzz ... mmmm creamy to ahhh scary!!

9. actually, pants, as far as i know, there isn't a guitar or bass version of big muff. there is a new york and soviet version of it, but that has nothing to do with what instrument its for. you can play either through a guitar or bass.

10. Matteran

Matteran Banned

Jan 1, 2005
    Santa Rosa, CA
    I really liked my Boss ODB-3, but I found that with it on, I'd have to turn the highs up a lot to get over my guitarist. I had to turn the highs up in order to even tell that my signal was being distorted, and then it became a little harsh sounding on my lower end amp. I played it through my girlfriend's Mesa 400+ and it sounded a little better, and not as harsh, but still had trouble in the mix.

I have a very midsy tone, and basically obliterate my guitarist normally, but I was having trouble cutting with the Boss. So I sold it, and bought a Guv'nor 2 on eBay, should be recieving it soon. Hopefully that will be better.

11. There's a bass version :confused:

12. Your GF has a Bass 400+ :confused:

13. thats what i thought! but noooo shop dude KNOWS man!! he is paid to know. Guess he is full of crap as usual, thanks guys, i can just go buy that one now.

14. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    I had a similar experience with the pedal. It sounded awful through my Hartke rig (no jokes, okay? :p ), but it was a lot better through my Mesa/Ampeg setup, which doesn't have the harsh highs. I go back and forth with this pedal, but I haven't been able to bring myself to sell it. :smug: I'd give it a shot if you can find one for cheap.

Oh, Happy B-Day darksession. :)