Boss Pedals...anything wrong with only one brand

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Homeslice, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Homeslice

Homeslice

Nov 14, 2013
    As a fairly new bass player, recently I bit the bullet and upgraded my gear to a nice 4x10 stack with svt pro 7 and bought my first bass pedal from Boss (DS-1 distortion)

I see a ton of different brands being discussed and people mixing and matching their pedals, and haven't' seen anyone strictly using just one brand of effects pedals.

So with that, I'm curious if there is something wrong with buying just Boss pedals, as I really like my DS-1 and want to add more Boss pedals.
    I understand pricing is important to most people, but to me, I kind of like the way Boss makes their pedals almost identical to each other (with color change to know which pedal is which) and I think that money isn't important, and would spend more to get all the same brand/look, compared to a cheaper alternative that isn't the same brand.

Basically my question is, do people mix and match because Boss has only a few good pedals, but others are better?
    lets say my next pedal I want is the CEB-3 (chorus). Would people tell me to steer clear of it just because they think another brand is significantly better and that it would be smarter to mix, than to match.

I feel like any change I can make to my sound is "better" than anything I have currently, so is it really worth changing out a brand of pedal because it is that much better than said brand over looks?

Hope this makes sense, and sorry if this has been discussed before.

Thanks!

2. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    If aesthetics of your pedalboard is a priority over selecting the best tone from a box, you can pick whatever will keep your OCD at bay.

3. Homeslice

Homeslice

Nov 14, 2013
    ^lol thanks,

your reply almost makes it sound like it may not be worth trying to keep it all in the same family.

Honestly am I being ridiculous in thinking that it is better to keep them all the same over having better sound quality?
    Is there that much difference in sound between effect pedals.

4. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Feb 22, 2013
    Bangkok
    Your best bet would be to go to a music store and try out as many pedals as possible. If your interested in a chorus pedal, try every chorus pedal in the store. Don't get hung up on brand names or color schemes. Go with what you think sounds good and how much money you're willing to spend.

5. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    This forum wouldn't exist if the overwhelming majority of posters didn't believe that the tone differences mattered to them.:)

6. TrickPanda

TrickPanda

Feb 2, 2014
    Sometimes it's about price, sometimes it's about availability, don't even get me started on tone.

That said, there's nothing wrong with having all one brand.

7. Turtle71

Turtle71 Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Madison, WI
    Absolutely, but only your ears can decide if that difference is worth sacrificing the "matching aesthetics" or the increased costs.

I have had, and still do have a few boss pedals...they do pretty much exactly as described, I however have found that other manufacturers offer a product that just suits my needs better.

So I'm in the "mix and match" camp. :D

8. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Yes.

9. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    If I had to choose a brand to be loyal to (which would never happen) Boss would not even be on my short list.

10. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Do you care what you sound like? If so, yes.

Yes, absolutely.

11. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

I would happily use Boss, in fact there was a while when I only bought Boss pedals. I buy them all used so they are dirt cheap plus you don't need to test them out ever. If a Boss pedal turns on, it works, and you can abuse the **** out of them and they will work like day 1. I get you might not like the tone but I find them the best out of the major manufacturers.

Granted I have moved on to other pedals, but Boss still holds a special place in my heart.

12. OneAri

OneAri

Jan 1, 2013
    Brighton, UK
    I have never had a desire to own a boss pedal as my Pedal Hoarding Disorder places massive emphasis on general aesthetic- for me Boss pedals just look too functional (same goes for EBS, Hardwire etc.) theres so much differentiation in limited run pedal manufacturers. Plus you may easily miss out on some unique features an obscure one-man pedal company dares to incorporate into its designs

It's not a matter of boutique vs commercial either as most Boss stuff is priced just below the nearest 'boutique' pedals

13. It's purely aesthetics and brand loyalty.

Once you start A/B'ing pedals, you will hear some oft-profound differences, and, if you're like me, aesthetics and brand loyalty will take a back seat to function and substance.

I own and use several Boss pedals, and I have just as many from other builders that simply out-performed the Boss version to my ears.

14. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

Holy smokes, prices must insane for BOSS gear in Britain. BOSS is way less than boutique equivalents even in Canada. Although I am old enough to remember a time when BOSS pedals were extremely expensive. I think my Chorus and Delay are old enough that the price tags on them read in the $300 range. They are around the $100 range new now.

I think one thing with pedals is that there a lot of hipster minded folks with pedals. They want stuff somebody else doesn't have to say they have it. Nothing wrong with that frame of mind, just I see it more with pedal geeks than amp geeks or bass/guitar geeks who traditionally idolize classic models of things.

15. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    I've literally never considered that people would care what pedals looked like. They're little boxes with knobs that make your instrument sound different. They're pure function. They generally can't be seen by the audience when you're playing. It just makes no sense to me at all.

16. MCS4

MCS4 Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    If you think it would be cool, and you dig their pedals, then go for it. Don't let other people shame you into thinking there's something wrong with sticking with a brand you like or making gear choices in part based upon aesthetics.

My pedals come from all different companies (none of them Boss), but that doesn't mean you have to be the same.

17. JensCambre

JensCambre

Feb 3, 2014
    Belgium
    yes, Yes, YES!!

18. negativefx

negativefx complete hack

Feb 18, 2013
    Fort Collins
    That's why I paint dicks on all of my custom pedal builds

19. Joeynone

Joeynone The Neon Skyline Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1393448127.508656.jpg I have loyalty just not to one company.... Boss makes one hell of a tuner. I don't love their effects (except the tremolo) but they are built like a brick poopiehouse.

I propose to ditch aesthetic and go with quality.... Many companies have awesome looking pedals... IE: Fuzzrocious (see: Broke Dick and grey stache) alsooooo Source Audio color codes and they look bad ass

20. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    I am not crazy about Boss pedals though I own/have owned plenty. I feel like there are better alternatives for almost every type. The RV-3 is it's own thing though.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021