Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bottesini 8va

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by AdaGio³, Feb 9, 2006.

1. AdaGio³

AdaGio³

Feb 9, 2006
    I just bought the Bottesini Concerto #2 from online and when It finally came, I opened up the first page and saw that it was notated to be read 8va___ throughout the entire piece:meh: :meh: . Do they sell versions that are written in mostly treble clef instead of the 8va?

2. The Yorke edition is what you're looking for.

3. I had the same problem when I sightread the Gran Duo Concerto (this version was for two basses, as it was originally written), and I couldn't figure out why it sounded so low compared to any recording I had ever heard. Then of course, I looked at the top and it said, "8va -". Suddenly the piece got a little more challenging. Kind of off topic, but a funny moment of revelation nonetheless.

4. Can you guys explain what 8va is?

5. bpclark

bpclark

Apr 30, 2003
    West Central, OH
    It means to play the notes 1 octave higher than what is written.

6. that sounds fun LOL i hope i don't see that in treble or tenor cleff LOL

7. My Freshman year in high school I had to read all my music up an octave. Our orchestra had way more basses than cellos, so I was made to play with the cello section at pitch.

You get used to it pretty quick.

8. WOW thats good. When I have to play cello parts i just play it as writen. I never realy played alot up an an octave. It sounds better. But I have played some Tuba parts higher in concert band (im the best player in there) up an octave. But not realy used to it mutch. I just usualy pencil the notes in b/c i'll eventualy play them on reg octave if i don't.

9. When I was sightreading the Gran Duo at 8va, my tendency was to revert back to tenor clef....reading 8va is kind of hard, for some odd reason. Even worse is one octave down....the tendency there is to take it back to the written pitch.

10. AdaGio³

AdaGio³

Feb 9, 2006
    I agree its very difficult to play up an octave as opposed to a different clef. I usally make myself play treble when trying to play bass up an octave when it gets lower on the staff. The Bottesini Concerto goes to some notes that are soooo low off the staff that i literally had to count ledger lines to figure it out.