1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bought new bass on eBay - is it B stock?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sync00, Apr 26, 2006.

1. sync00

sync00

Nov 23, 2005
    I bought a TBC 400SS from a music store on eBay. I did not get it from TBC. The listing said it was new with no shop
    wear. It looks fine from a few feet away but when you look closer there are a bunch of flaws in the fit and finish.

I had the impression that the fit and finish on TBC instruments was quite good. I don't know if what I'm seeing is
    normal or not. Take a look at the photos and let me know what you think.

Attached Files:

2. sync00

sync00

Nov 23, 2005
    These white marks are on the side, back and front of the body. They sort of look like gouges but I can't feel anything there.

Attached Files:

3. Name Changed

Name Changed Banned

Apr 22, 2006
    Sarasota,FLORIDA
    demand a refund telling paypal if you used it that it was not as described the bass. paypal will raise a claim. if not paypal contact the seller demanding a refund, if you dont get a reply. contact ebay or stop credit card transaction and send it back after that clears.... yeahhh!!!:bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

4. sync00

sync00

Nov 23, 2005
    The seller said I could return it.

5. or get over it, how does it play?

6. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    The Bass in the pic would be considered X-stock because it has small gouges in the body,if it had cosmetic blemishes in the wood or finish it would be considered B-stock and most companies usually will not sell a Bass under those conditions and if they do they will let the potential buyer know what the issue is and then sell at a very reduced price.

7. sync00

sync00

Nov 23, 2005
    I have tendonitis in my left arm and I can't really play right now. It does seem like it will play pretty nice though.

8. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Seems like unusually bad condition to sell a new or 'as new' bass in, but these things do happen sometimes. The seller OK'ed the return though, so it sounds like everything worked out in the end.

9. sync00

sync00

Nov 23, 2005
    TBC has been selling these for $430 since their price increase in February. I got it for $325 plus shipping.

The seller says: "it's not "B" stock.....it has been here awhile, but never out of the store..originally listed for $999.00..blowout price of $399.00..you got a great deal"

Anyone care to venture what they think this should sell for?

10. sync00

sync00

Nov 23, 2005
    I've never returned anything to an eBay seller. I'm concerned that once they get the bass back then it is up to them whether I get a full refund or not.

11. rontalsaurus

rontalsaurus

Aug 19, 2002
    Listing that bass for $1000 is insanity. The bass goes for around $450 based on their most recent pricing before the website went down. The original line that wasn't quite up to snuff (according to the tech I talked to on the phone) was selling for $325 or so on ebay. They upped the price a hundred bucks when the "production" run came through.

12. sync00

sync00

Nov 23, 2005
    I know it looks like gouges in the photo, but I think it is actually soft wood grain.

13. LeTrull

LeTrull

Jun 10, 2005
    EDIT: Oops, replied to wrong thread.

14. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Looks like demo-model wear from people playing it in the store.

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    What is that, balsa wood?

16. Paypal isnt always that great . . . i got an SKB 8U shockmount case, was described as having only a few scratchs on the surface, but everything was in full functional order, when i got it 3 latches were broken and one was missing, i contacted the seller, no reply, made a claim with paypal, where the seller admitted it was broken before he sent it, but paypal would not do anything about it because i couldnt get anywhere to give me a quote on repairs!

17. Looks like swamp ash? If so the white marks on the back are just grain/sanding and oil finish effects IMHO. The front just looks like soft grain'. I have it on my oil finish corvette - not to that extent though. Give it a few weeks worth of 'wax' it should calm down a bit - mine did.