1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

bow case

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by skittles767, Nov 20, 2010.

1. skittles767

skittles767

Nov 15, 2010
    Ok so i gota a new bow 3/4 french... i want a hard case to go with it.. its a nice bow... but idk which ones are good... everyone is telling me to get a fiberglass case... but i cant find where to get them... does anyone know the website(s)?

2. If you do not have a store nearby that sells uprights and accessories, EBAY.

:)

3. Rob Thompson

Rob Thompson Supporting Member

Okay I'll try to be helpful.

Cases that seem to be very common are the Bobelock and Kolstein cases. Here are some places you can get those: Quinn, Kolstein, Fine Cases, Gollihur, etc. etc.

There's also Reunion blues, Upton and Lemur music also sells a few: the "Green Tea", "Cappuccino", and a pocket bow case.

4. Mesa

Mesa

Mar 20, 2008
    Holly Springs NC
    I recently purchased the single bow case (branded Core) from Gollihur that the previous poster linked to. I warm up with the bow in my daily practice routine, and I store my bow in the case the rest of the time, so I give the zipper a daily use.
    The case is solidly made, the unbranded dual zippers are holding up well so far.
    The well-padded interior of the case holds the bow in place pretty well. There is an external zippered pocket that could hold a tub of rosin, but my Pop's looks a little awkward stuffed in there.
    This is not the kind of case that can slide into a bow pocket on a gig bag. It's more substantial than that.

I've no worries as to whether this case will protect my bow, both inside my house with kids bouncing around and outside when I take it to lessons. I also can say that I would order this case again, if I needed another.

Of course, time will tell how well it holds up to my moderate use, and I'll report back if something noteworthy happens.

5. As suggested by Crowsmengegus, the lemur case. capuccino or green tea version are pretty sturdy and is highly recommended. You should be able to order those online at lemurmusic.com

6. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    I picked up a Lemur top loading bow case recently, with the idea that it would slide into the case and not require unzipping every time.

It works okay for that...the bow slides out easily from the case and the case fits my Mooradian vow pouch just fine. The main down side is that it adds a bit of weight to the bag, and of course stiffens part of the bag when I'm taking it off the bass.

7. Russell Bergum

Russell Bergum Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2006
    Rochester, MN
    I have this case (Core brand from Gollihur) and it is really nice, and way worth the money. The single bow version fits into my bow pocket on my gig bag. I also have the double bow version, which is just as nice, but this one doesn't fit in my gig bag bow pocket. The outside pocket is convenient, and I keep my tuner and extra pencils in there, along with Carlsson rosin for backup.

Would I buy this again? Yes. I bought the double bow version a couple years ago, and recently bought the single bow version for my Lipkins bow.

8. Eric Swanson

Eric Swanson

Oct 8, 2007
    Boston, MA
    I bought the $45 case from Upton a couple of years ago. The zipper failed after about a year.

Now I am using a ghetto bow case I cobbed together...

9. Brent Nussey

Brent Nussey

Jun 27, 2001
    Tokyo, Japan
    If I can put my 2c in, I have the green tea case, which Sue L sent me the bow she made me in. There's nothing wrong with the case per se, but I'm not totally into it. I think if you want to use it only in the bow pocket of your bass case it's fine, but if you carry the bow around separately sometimes, the 2 snaps don't make me feel very secure. It only has a shoulder strap, and I just don't feel that good about throwing my bow over my shoulder with those only those 2 little snaps between me and disaster. My solution has been to put a couple of brown women's hair elastics over the ends for additional security when I have to carry the bow over my shoulder. Also, the top and bottom of the case are only held together by pressure, and it rains where I live, so I never feel totally comfortable that water won't seep in there sometime. IMO, the Cuppucino case would be a better choice for anyone who has to carry their bow separately from their bass. I have a friend who has the Core one (sold by Gollihur in the US) and I think that's a great case, if a little bulky and heavy. My good friend the bow collector/dealer Takashi Tsuruta recommends the italian case made by Riboni, which looks to be the same as the one Lemur sells as "pocket bow cases." They're light, have a good shoulder strap, and the bow isn't going to fall out or get wet. I thought the bow hair might be damaged by this kind of case, but he says it's fine. Lemur also sells them at a great price, they sell for 150 bucks in other parts of the world.

Brent