1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bow rehair in NYC ??

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by bassdogEmer, Dec 22, 2006.

1. bassdogEmer

bassdogEmer

Sep 14, 2005
    San Francisco
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie Amps, Bag end,Thomastik - Infeld Strings
    Hi does anyone know a good place to have my bow rehaired in NYC???

2. Yung Chin
    250 West 54th St.
    212-582-3626

A true professional. Very well known.

In my experience: courteous, efficient, and honest - even if you don't have a big scary teacher to cover you.

$65 or so

3. mheintz

mheintz

Nov 18, 2004
    I bumped this thread to say thank you to Sevitzky for recommending Yung. I had some work done on my bow today by Yung. Quick turnaround and a very nice guy. I brought it in the morning and picked it up in the afternoon.

While there I met Tim Cobb, who I may have met before. Also very friendly.

The hair is breaking in and the bow feels much better.

4. Cosmos

Cosmos

Sep 21, 2006
    New York, NY
    gregory wylie is good, too.

homer mensch always suggested him, and i think mr. cobb brings his bows there, too.

same price as above - around $60

5. greg never uses enough hair for my taste, and yung's rehair isnt the best for be either. I tend to go to Nick Caraccio. His hair lasts longer than anyones and he puts a ton in (best hair in nyc). I have hair that is 2 years old on one of my bows and it plays almost as well as when it was rehaired. Also I had 2 bows straightened by Issac Salchow and he really is a master. Perfectly straight with not a singe mark on them... the bows have never played so well! Also got a great rehair in the process.

6. Justin K-ski

Justin K-ski

May 13, 2005
    +1 for Nick C, I've used him for every rehair I've gotten since 11th grade and never been anything less than thrilled.

7. LizzieBurns

LizzieBurns

Dec 10, 2007
    Maplewood NJ
    does david gage or kolstien do rehairs?

8. Justin K-ski

Justin K-ski

May 13, 2005
    They both do, but if you're in the city you're better off going to Nick C or one of the others listed here.

9. mheintz

mheintz

Nov 18, 2004
    Just a bump to say that I went to Nick a couple months ago and got a great rehair. Excellent, grabby hair.

10. bassmith

bassmith

Feb 26, 2002
    New York, NY
    Ditto for Nick.

11. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    +1 for Nick. Just had my bow rehaired (long overdue) and I couldn't be happier (and thank you Kurt, for the initial heads up!).

12. PM me for Tim Ferguson's number. he works out of LaGuardia High School of the Arts i believe. good prices. quick turnaround

13. +1 for Nick C. Just got a rehair this weekend. Awesome.

14. Rehair from Greg Wylie in Dec and it was terrific.

15. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    I also recommend Greg. I'd also like to try Nick to compare.

16. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    Maybe he has changed, but in the 90's I went to him a few times and found him to be quite arrogant. His rehairs were no better than acceptable, and our discussions about some repair work yielded only insults (him dissing me, that is). I got the feeling that bass bows and bass players were beneath his dignity.

During my tenure in NYC I rarely got a rehair that satisfied me. I would check out some of the new guys mentioned. They have a reputation to build, not to rely upon!

17. mheintz

mheintz

Nov 18, 2004
    Re Yung, I had a pretty good experience. He did a rehair and replaced the grip on my bow. Same day service. After it was done, he charged me less than he said he would and we spent 15 to 20 minutes talking about jazz. I'm not trying to discount robobass's experience at all. I just had a good experience. That being said, I like Nick's hair a bit better and he was really friendly. There's also a really good wine shop near Nick's. Now that's a good night: new hair and Sonoma's finest.

18. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    ^^ I think I know where you're talking about. Yellow sign, I think it's called "Elrich's" or something? I encourage anyone who likes montepulciano's to check out "Zacagnini", which you can find at said wine shop (and elsewhere, of course).

19. thewhale

thewhale

Feb 28, 2008
    north carolina
    netrehair.com

This guy is great. I've gotten rehairs in other parts of the country and have never found quality like Jerry's. Plus he's a bass player and knows what we need. I've been driving to Raleigh for the past 5 years or so for rehairs. Now he has this rehair through the mail system that works really well.
    And you can buy Oak rosin from him

20. Fred W

Fred W

Feb 21, 2002
    Bronx, NY
    Another kudo for Nick. His rehairing actually improved both my bows (my new bow played better than new, not just getting new hair). He also fixed a nagging mechanical problem with my Ernst Heinrich Roth, which eluded the Gage guy.