1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bowing Technique with LA Phil's David Allen More

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by LouisF, May 15, 2017.

1. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
  2. Andy Mopley

Andy Mopley

Sep 24, 2011
    +1.

Thanks for sharing, Louis.

John Chambliss likes this.
  3. bengreen

bengreen

Jan 26, 2016
    San Diego
    Thank you Louis. Never encountered MUSAIC before. What a wonderful resource.

4. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

Fantastic lesson.
    This page (below) in Simandl I, was where my teacher, (Roger Macchiaroli, Buffalo Phil.), first said to me - "a monkey could learn the notes".
    That first demo in the lesson above, @1:08, "releasing the string....." is pure gold.
    Thanks, LouisF.
    photo(306).JPG

ejnachtrab likes this.
  5. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    Aw man, thanks Louis. This is a solid reminder. I used to do a similar thing, where I'd just make contact between the bow hair and string, wiggle the string side to side for a second, and start a single note at time, up bow and down bow. But this David Alan Moore lesson only adds to that. Can't wait to add this to my daily routine.

6. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've been going to the Mahler/Schubert cycle at the LA the past two weeks, and of course, sit up on the side or back of Disney to watch the bass section (soloists? what soloists). It's just amazing what a tight section they have. I'm glad I stumbled on this.
    Louis

7. RRR

RRR

Feb 18, 2016
    NYC
    Good old page 69!!!

iamthebassplayr and the_Ryan like this.
  8. Andy Mopley

Andy Mopley

Sep 24, 2011
    But can I add to this, then....are there really any NEW techniques, or at the end of the day, the pillars remain, and there's just a whole bunch of people "dusting them off" so to speak?

9. the_Ryan

the_Ryan

Jul 10, 2015
    Ithaca/Seattle
  10. neilG

neilG

Jun 15, 2003
    Ventura, CA
    No, and yes. What's new, or at least recent, is the expectation of what the DB is supposed to sound like.

the_Ryan likes this.
  11. neilG

neilG

Jun 15, 2003
    Ventura, CA
  12. CaseyVancouver

CaseyVancouver

Nov 4, 2012
    Thanks Louis for posting!

Here is a 65 minute talk with Moore. He covers a lot of territory. His hybrid bow hold is interesting, using bows by Fritsch, Walke, Herman, Dow ...and probably others! That starts at 34:00.

He talks about Edgar Meyer and Francois Rabbath. Also his book 'Fractal Fingerings'.
    At about 52:00 he gets into audition prep.

This guy is a intelligent eloquent speaker. Teaches a full time USC position, full time Philharmonic chair and runs 40-60 miles a week for 'ultra' marathons. He also practises.

Wow!

ejnachtrab and the_Ryan like this.
  13. the_Ryan

the_Ryan

Jul 10, 2015
    Ithaca/Seattle
    He's pretty neurotic about his scheduling, and everything he does in general.