1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

bowing Zyex in my Upton bass

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by chilensko, May 24, 2017.

1. chilensko

chilensko

Sep 27, 2010
    Just a short video bowing Zyex.
    It was a quick video with mistakes and out of tune notes but I just want to share it .
    the video quality sucks so close your eyes.

panos, Randyt, Mrlen613 and 1 other person like this.
  2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    If I may ask, are they light or medium, and how long did it take for them to settle in? I'm about to give up on a set, but they've only been on the bass since Friday.

3. chilensko

chilensko

Sep 27, 2010
    They are light, and it can take days to settle in. I'll suggest to play them a lot and re-tune every 20 min till they start getting in place.

fdeck likes this.
  4. That's a really good-sounding bass.

rickwolff likes this.
  5. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    +1, and with a plastic bow at that. Thanks for posting, always helpful.

6. Mrlen613

Mrlen613 Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Clinton,NJ
    Very nice! I really appreciate this video. I have an Upton standard hybrid on order and have been very interested in hearing how the uptons sound with the Zyex strings. How do you like them?

7. chilensko

chilensko

Sep 27, 2010
    I like them a lot so far! BTW the bass is for sale!

8. Adam Booker

Adam Booker Supporting Member

May 3, 2007
    Boone, NC
    Endorsing Artist: D'Addario Strings, Remic Microphones
    That's just plain mean, putting this up after i've been lurking on the sale for the past week. Dirty pool, old boy. Dirty pool.

KUNGfuSHERIFF likes this.
  9. fdeck

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Thanks. You've inspired me to give the strings a chance. I survived the gig last night -- amplified with a big-band. Now I know that I can get through gigs without something dumb happening such as injuring my hands, so I feel comfortable seeing how these strings evolve over the next few weeks.

10. chilensko

chilensko

Sep 27, 2010
    I'm glad that I help!
    Good luck with the strings.

11. fdeck

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Just to follow up, I have to admit that I gave up. I couldn't get the nice tone that you get, and they were hurting my hands. Even after more than a week they were quite twangy on my bass, and -- it's hard to describe -- extremely resonant across the 4 strings when bowed. This is something which, if tamed by a better player than me, would make for a really rich sound.

I'd like to mention one thing that might be useful to a few players: The Zyex mediums seem to amplify quite well -- I got a lot of volume without feedback. So I don't think they're a lost cause, but they're not for my bass, my hands, etc.

12. Bigbassguy

Bigbassguy

Jun 5, 2017
    I really like your video. You sound great. I have a standard hybrid with Zyrex string. Really enjoy them but i dont know for sure if they are light guage. I got the bass second hand.

13. Thomas Allin

Thomas Allin

Dec 30, 2017
    Gothenburg
    I use zyex E and A on a H L Hill bass in the opera pit and like them a lot. They have plenty of arco power, a really fast attack and a full round pizz sound. The video sound is recorded with the standard iPhone headset.

s0707, panos, Selim and 1 other person like this.
  14. Thomas Allin

Thomas Allin

Dec 30, 2017
    Gothenburg
    Sorry, D and G are Flexocor de luxe.

Recently we played 10 performances of Ariadne auf Naxos by Richard Strauss where there is a quite big solo part. I also think the Zyex strings are good for that kind of legato playing in the higher positions.

15. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    these are Zyex lights?

16. Thomas Allin

Thomas Allin

Dec 30, 2017
    Gothenburg
    They are medium tension.

Selim likes this.
  17. wathaet

wathaet

May 27, 2007
    Thomas, my Hill should meet yours sometime :) I did not know there was another one in Sweden.
    Assuming you tried them, how were the top two zyex on the Hill?

18. Thomas Allin

Thomas Allin

Dec 30, 2017
    Gothenburg
    That would be a fine get-together!
    Actually I got my hands on the Hill in August 2017. I started out with a complete set flexocor deluxe but the E-string didn't respond very well so I put on the Zyex E and a few days later even the A to even things out. I'm happy with this combination but I am curious to try the other 2 as well some day.

19. wathaet

wathaet

May 27, 2007
    That explains why I have not heard of it before.

20. Bigbassguy

Bigbassguy

Jun 5, 2017
    I m using Spiro light E all other zyex light. I still need a bigger punch from the e. Its an Upton hybrid standard bass. Small sounding e