Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BP 100

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Cathead, Jan 23, 2004.

1. Cathead

Cathead

Dec 13, 2002
    Premier, WV
    I just installed the Fishman BP 100 on my upright tonight, and I was amazed at the sound I got right off the bat. I plugged it into a Peavey TNT 115 bass amp with the 7 band equalizer sans a preamp and was expecting a trebly harsh sound. Instead, I got lows that rattled the windows. I am thoroughly impressed and a happy camper indeed. I can hardly wait to gig with it. Am I such a novice that I am that easily satisfied, or has anyone else had the same experience?

2. tsolo

tsolo

Aug 24, 2002
    Ft. Worth
    Most of the comments about the fishman on this forum are negative but, I had one on an american standard and got a good sound from it both with the little clips on the bridge and then with the elements under the bridge feet. I took the bass to a luthier to have the elements fitted under the bridge. I liked the fishmen for its ease of installation and once installed, the sound was decent. I didn't have too much work with the amp to dial in a sound i liked. Feed back was minimal. I now use a gage realist only because i got a good deal on one. Once again because of the ease of installation. The sound is not much different from the fishman. My .02 - YMMV.

3. delbass

delbass

Sep 9, 2003
    Albany, NY
    I also got a pretty good sound with my fishman bp100, but I had the one with the mic wired in (bp100m), and I used the pocket blender to mix the signals. Arco was stilll horrible though. However, once I heard the Fishman full circle, I ditched the bp100. Way better.

4. Cathead

Cathead

Dec 13, 2002
    Premier, WV
    If my bass had adjusting wheels on the bridge I would have gone with the Full Circle, but $$$ needed to purchase a bridge and the pickup forced me to go with the BP 100. Maybe if I get to start gigging more regular I'll upgrade.

5. ArenW

ArenW

Jan 14, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    Ive got one and the basic pre that goes with it and I absolutely hate the whole set up. The tone is awful and it doesnt seem like the pre amp makes any difference accept that I can turn my volume up and down without going to my amp. All the tones that I can get with the pre are just as easily dialed in with my amp. Arco is a nightmare with it as well. I have tried it with a few different amps... large, small, combo, head and cab, and it hasnt seemed to make much difference either,(the smaller the better though). Ive also tried a LR Baggs, and a Barcus Berry- both seemed to sound better than the fishman but volume without feedback is still a major problem. I have a hell of a time keeping up with loud drummers and guitarists.:mad:

6. Cathead

Cathead

Dec 13, 2002
    Premier, WV
    I don't know, ArenW. I have mucho volume with the BP 100. I'm glad I didn't spring the bucks for the preamp, especially after reading your post. I couldn't imagine dialing in any more lows than I'm already getting through my bass amp now without the preamp. I am literally rattling my windows as is, and the feedback factor is very low. I reckon I was blessed for a change.

7. delbass

delbass

Sep 9, 2003
    Albany, NY
    Make sure you have it installed properly. Experiment with different placement...... closer to the tip of the bridge, farther away. The part of the bridge where the pickup goes needs to be flat and clean. Clean the area with some water, and the back of the pickup with rubbing alcohol. Also, make sure the clips are on tight, or try gluing it to the bridge like they show you on the fishman website:http://www.fishman.com/support/techtips.asp?id=6

8. I used a BP100 with the Fishman B preamp for 10 years. Always worked well and sounded OK....I was satisfied. Just switched to the full circle with the same preamp...better sound.

9. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Hi! Try switching the left pu. with the right one you may have mixed them and when out of phase they sound like doggo doddo.

10. Kevinlee

Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    My experience with the fishman is that it actually sounds better mounted in the wings like a k&k or underwood. Make sure the active (shiny) side is facing out. I used some foam or cardboard or both to get in wedged in there. It didn't sound half bad that way. Not my favorite pickup but it was workable like that.

11. I received one as a christmas present and i have found that it doesnt sound good...nice and thumpy , but impossible to get an organic clear sound...Thinking about investing in a K&K golden trinity mic and preamp upgrade....

12. I place my BP-100 with the body of my bass, near the bridge foots (both sides).

The material that attached BP-100 is called BluTac from 3M. It seems to be a non-stick gum. I run thru sadowsky outboard preamp (with flat EQ) and Passive DI.

The result is far more than expected. It is improved a lot more, no string noise and more acoustic sound. Also, I tried 3M 2-sides-tape to place it before. But, not much improved, still have some string noise.

I do not have a chance to try in high volume gig yet. It is fine for a small and low-volume gig (guitar, piano, and bass).

Just my 2 cents

Pongsak
    Bangkok, Thailand

13. I update my previous post.
    I tried placing the two piezo peices on the top of the bass(edge of F-hole) and it has warmed up nicely.

14. WAIT THE BLACK SIDE FACES INWARD?!?!?!? :mad: :confused:

15. OK.......Fixed my bp100, the metal facing outward, and i take back everything i said about fishman. Its sweet! :rolleyes:

16. Rooligan

Rooligan

Dec 15, 2004
    Neeritter
    Hi there!
    Got any pics to show how you placed them?

I also own the BP-100 and I have them clipped them underneath the bridge (between the strings - just upsidedown as the original setup should be) - but not quite satisfied yet.

17. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    I have a set fishman bp-100 piezo's on my electric upright. I ditched the clips put them under the bridge feet and BAM! Once i got even pressure across the pickups the sound was deep and loud, just like I like it. The volume is fairly even across all the strings too. IMO the fishmans seem to perform well with a lot of pressure on them. I have the shiny side against the body. I am very happy with the set up.

18. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    2. Mount the elements black side up on the side of the bridge that faces the fingerboard. Center one element between the G and D strings with its straight edge 1/8" below the top edge of the bridge. Slide a felt-covered clip over this edge to secure the element. The clip should be pushed tightly
    against the top of the bridge. A loose clip may be tightened by squeezing it before installation.
    Install the other element in the same fashion, centering it
    between the A and E strings. Note that if the bridge is
    beveled at the top edge, the elements must be mounted
    below the bevel.

19. Lucerne

Lucerne

Jan 13, 2005
    Yo Rooligan
    Did you ever get an answer on placing the pickups shiny side out? I do what you do at the mo. i.e pickups on opposite side of the bridge to normal. My sound is warm and punchy in all but the G string which lacks both volume and depth. if i could get that string to match the rest I would be well happy. I'm thinking of trying to place them under the bridge feet as someone else has tried

cheers