Breaking between songs

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by bassJ725, Sep 16, 2004.

1. bassJ725

Jul 7, 2004
    Ok I play in a nu-metal band and IMO we move around alot... our shows could be compared to Slipknot as far as actual musicains in the band act (no offense). Im noticing that we might need a break between songs if we want to keep it going the whole set at what points in the show do you think we should take a short break. We do play slower songs so I was thinking we should do it after or before one of them.
  2. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    My bands always only took a 10 minute break after an hour of playing. Maybe a short minute inbetween a song here and there, but that's always for a reason (to plug ourselves or tell a joke or whatever). Around where I used to play, places frowned upon (very much) frequent breaks.
    Just my $0.02
  3. We are currently running a quick 7 song live set.

We open up with two of our best songs and then stop for a quick hello and plug the band. Then we do the rest of the set(excpet the last song) only stopping for quick thank yous if the crowd reacts well. Weonly have one "scheduled" break before the last song to plug the band again and thank the audience. Then we play the last song and leave the stage.
  4. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Sounds perfectly fine to long as your quickie breaks don't turn into 5 or 10 minute ones.

Again, just my $0.02

5. cosmodrome

cosmodrome Registered User

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
    rough & tough. if you want to keep the momentum going just play 45 min non stop, keep the awkward silences to an absolute minimum. break, another 45 min. specially for such gogogogomusic. 'hire' a pit. just ask a few friends which keep on going. promise em free beer or whatever...
  6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    the longer of a break you take - the more of your audience will leave never to come back - this goes double for prime time (say, 10:30 - 100)
    a break between songs longer than 30 seconds counts as a break - nothing kills a gig like 3 minutes in between songs
  7. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    That's excatly what I was getting at, and seeing that they'd only "break" to plug the band/give thanks, that shouldn't take more than 30 seconds, right?

8. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I agree with Bad Habit Bassist and IvanMike. More than 30 seconds between songs, in most cases, especially when everyone in the band is silent, makes you look stupid. There are exceptions to that of course (introducing the band, interacting with the audience, etc.) where it can go a tiny bit longer. BUT, the people came to see a band play, plain and simple. So keep playing.

Our breaks in between sets are usually 15 minutes. That gives us time to take a pee break, grab a beer, and have a cigarette. Any longer, though, and bar owners tend to get pissy, and audiences might go look for something else to do. Once you have them on the dance floor, try to keep them there.
  9. bassJ725

Jul 7, 2004
  10. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    I have to agree.
  11. BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    We generally play sets that are over an hour in length, so depending on the venue and the time of day/night, a break between sets can be anywhere from 5 to 20 mintes (absolute max.). Generally, we like 10 minute breaks between sets. What we do poorly, even though we always have prepared song lists, is we take too long between songs in a set. Even though I frequently bring 2 basses to gigs, (fretted 4, fretless 5) I've made my setup such that I can change basses very quickly. Meanwhile, one guitarist (with synth.) needs time to puch up the right settings on his stuff, and our drummer always seems to need to reposition something or other and after I've switched basses, I find myself waiting around sometimes. I hate that.
  12. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Blackshole said:
    "...our drummer always seems to need to reposition something or other..."

OY! Don't even get me STARTED.

Reading this thread really makes me think about the band I'm with. We've got to start going straight from song to song more often.