Breaking in Speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Matteran, Jun 27, 2005.

1. Matteran

Matteran Banned

Jan 1, 2005
    Santa Rosa, CA
    So I got some new speakers for my 4x10, and decided I should "break them in a little." What I decided to do was cut all the highs, have the mid and lows flat, and just play 12 fret octaves at medium volume, and slowly raise the volume, and eventually play open. I did this for about 15 minutes, then played as normal.

Was this even necissary? I just wanted to be safe.
  2. The way I like to break in speakers is just to run my CD player through them at just below normal volume for around 10-20 hours. Then be careful with them for another 10 and then boom, you're good to go.
  3. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Are you guys joking?
  4. Matteran

Matteran Banned

Jan 1, 2005
    Santa Rosa, CA
    I noticed my last speakers got a lot warmer as I played them more, so I assumed there was a break in period.

Just to be safe, I thought I might want to be a little careful with them, in order to not overly stress the cone or something.
  5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    There's no such thing as a break-in period. Speakers may change over time, but it's not like there's a point of reference or anything that has to be reached by breaking in.
  6. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    that depends who you ask- i used to work in a high end stereo store and we used to leave new speakers on overnight with something with great range (good highs, mids and lows). another good way i read in a stereo magazine is to run a good dvd through 'em too... i don't know the scientific formula for how long you need to do it or anything (there's a lot of voodoo in audio stuff) but i do believe speakers break in... doesn't acme recommend breaking their speakers in (not breaking in their speakers ;) )?
  7. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Correct my if i'm wrong.. But arn't you meant to break in Acme's?
  8. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    i recently got a brand new, out-of-the-box amp - was told to break them in by playing through it for at least 10 hours at low-to-medium volume (the manual said it would greatly increase the amp's life)

i just ran a CD thru it with some highs cut for a whole day...but yeh, it does seem to make sense to break brand new speakers in...just like a new car i guess
  9. booch

Aug 12, 2004
    Cabs DO have a break-in period, it's not a joke.

In my Eden 210XST manual I have a small section called WARNING! BREAK/IN PERIOD. It says the cabinet should be played at a low/moderate for approx. two hours as this helps the voice coils to "seat" themselves (the manual's words).
  10. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    OK, so it exists because it's in a manual? :confused:

Where's the scientific basis?
  11. I think its all about limbering them up

just like you need to break in a new cars engine (ok, thats not to limber it up, thats so everything runs smoothly and there isnt excessive wear from inconsistancies)
  12. remo

Jan 15, 2005
    Just pump some low volume pink noise through them for 12 hours or so...

13. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I make mine do a nice workout for a bit before using them on stage...mostly sit-ups and jumping jacks.

I've never had a problem with this, never had a creased speaker, and haven't done any of these 'break-in' things.
  14. Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    Minneapolis by way of Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    Yes, Acme's most certainly DO have a break-in period. The speaker surrounds are stiffer than ordinary drivers and need a good warmup before they are loosened up. It's no joke.

15. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    ...but not proof either...
  16. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    On the other hand, it probably couldn't hurt either. Better safe than sorry. The comment earlier made about the voice coils seating themselves make a certain amount of sense as does the concept of limbering up the cone surrounds.
  17. Audere

Audere Supporting Member Commercial User

Apr 7, 2005
    South Beach, OR
    Owner: Audere Audio
    Breaking in the speakers changes the stiffness of the suspension system and is well documented (and measured) in the speaker design world.
    Check out "The Loudspeaker Design Cookbook" by Dickason for a easy read about how to measure the effect if you really want to do your own testing and see if it is real.
  18. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    There absolutely IS, example being Celestion bass least older made-in-UK ones.

You can actually measure changes in the T-S parameters from NIB to after being used. I don't have any example numbers that I can recite at the moment, sorry. But if you design to what you measure initially, you may get a surprise.

After that initial shift they seemed to stabilize.... Maybe its just another Celestion oddity, like the old guitar speakers that smelled exactly like tomcat pi$$.

Most other brands are much less obvious, although I am sure there is some effect.
  19. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Breaking in makes sense to me. Polk Audio stereo speakers recommend a break in period, why woudn't decent quality bass speakers?
  20. Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    Minneapolis by way of Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    Proof is when the guy who builds them tells you in great detail about how people who don't break them in sufficiently tend to crease or blow their woofers from early overexcursion - me included. It's even in the Acme owner's manual.