Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Brendan Wires: Why isn't this guy famous?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Bassist4Life, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    I found this guy on the Internet one day and I couldn't believe my ears! His name is Brendan Wires. Why isn't this guy famous? I downloaded some audio samples from his website: http://www.brendanwires.com/recordings.html

He does it all with two hands and no overdubs or looping.

His arrangement of With Or Without You is simply amazing. He also does Bridge Over Troubled Water and Moondance.

I did a search for him on TB and came up with nothing. After hearing what I heard, he deserves to at least have his name mentioned here.

Joe

2. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Has anyone listened to the audio clips yet? Just curious... I am shocked that Brendan Wires hasn't been on the cover of BP or some other bass mag. I don't know of anyone else that taps as well as this guy; maybe Stu or Victor (maybe...).

Joe

3. MCT

MCT

Apr 11, 2005
    He did things with that U2 song I didn't were possible. Wonderful wonderful stuff.

4. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Thank you for your reply! I agree. :D

Joe

5. quatre03

quatre03

Aug 20, 2004
    phenom of a player i've actualy had someone i know e-mail him. He's such a great tapper

6. utopia_imminent

utopia_imminent

Jun 19, 2004
    it is a pity we underrate a phenom player like him while we idolize(not pointing any fingers) Mark Hoppus, Mike Dirnt and Fieldy.

7. Starbucker

Starbucker Guest

Jun 29, 2005
    Billings, MT
    Hey, no talking smack about Dirnt. He's actually talented.

Fieldy, on the other hand...

I can see what you're saying, though. It just sucks that talented guys like Brendan Wires don't get the recogntion they deserve and clowns like Fieldy go to bed every night in a big pile of money with lots of beautiful women.

8. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    I'm happy that a few of you took the time to hear Brendan Wires and share your feelings. I was completely blown away when I heard him. It's a shame that more people haven't treated themselves by listening to him.

Joe

9. Starbucker

Starbucker Guest

Jun 29, 2005
    Billings, MT
    I don't know, man, I don't think I've ever heard tapping like Brendan's before. Just listening to those few clips is really tempting me to buy one of his albums.

He lives in Washington, too, which is kind of near where I live in Missoula, MT. Maybe if he's somewhat close I could catch a show of his. Now that would be tight.

10. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    I know! It's crazy! This guy is so talented! How does a guy like this fall through the cracks. It would be very cool to see him play, but I'm in New York. I know he has dates on his website.

Joe

11. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Just hope he won't share the fate of Adrian Davison...

12. Starbucker

Starbucker Guest

Jun 29, 2005
    Billings, MT
    Can't say that I know who that is...

13. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  14. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Great playing, beautiful tone, very talented, no doubt. However...

...as with all the virtuosic, special techniques, I get tired of them after a few tunes. Victor triple thumbing, Marcus slapping everything, etc. I'mnot taking anything away from them, and for a few minutes I like to listen. It's just not my thing, you know?

Thanks for the link.

15. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I think he's got amazing talent and chops. A very gifted player who has no doubt forgot more than I'll ever know about music.

That being said, I really just didn't care for his arrangements, especially "Moondance". But, hey, that's just me. It's cool you found someone that gits yer pilot light going.

16. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    I'll agree with you on that. Also, while the playing seems nice and fluid it lacks a certain emotion, a soulful dynamicism.

17. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    It's cool to get some other views and opinions here. I was actually waiting for that. :) I do agree with getting bored of a "specialty technique" after a given duration of listening.

What I am about to say may be very unpopular. Let me preface what I am going to say with I admire Victor Wooten and everything he does. He is an amazing musician and he has an awesome attitude.

I saw Victor and his Soul Circus performance. I was in awe for most of the concert. There was so much talent on that stage; but 120 minutes into the concert, I had my fill. I was waiting for the last tune. Could be that I was standing in front of the stage for the duration of the concert and 1 hour before it started. I was just ready for him to be done. Know what I mean?

Joe

18. I loved this guys stuff when you first let me listen via PM. I wish he'd do some more songs like With or Without You, that was one of the most amazing things I've heard on a bass.

19. Maybe it's that feeling in the back of your head telling you that you need to stop playing because you've been shamed. That's what his show does to me, anyway.

20. Starbucker

Starbucker Guest

Jun 29, 2005
    Billings, MT
    That's a good way to describe it. Whenever I see him play, it just feels like a giant boot kicking me square in between the cheeks.