Brice V2 preamp?!?!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Gintaras, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Gintaras

Gintaras Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    Wanted to try a six string so I got a used Brice V2. Suprisingly I found no preamp but just pots and a battery after taking off the cover. After reading some threads on talkbass, I found out that I have active pu's?? This is new to me and I was wondering if anyone has done anything with this setup? Has anyone added another preamp like an Aquilar OBP?
    The pots are volume, volume, blend and tone. Has anyone changed this configuration?
    Also how about a simple change and making it 18 volts?

One of the threads mentioned that this is good setup and Brice should have used it again. Maybe I should just leave it alone?

Thanks....Gus :meh:
  2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    You got it right, that Brice has active pickups and passive EQ. The VOL/VOL/BLEND/TONE controls are strange, why have a blend if there's two volumes? It makes no sense. I may open mine up and remove the blend wiring some time since I like VOL/VOL/TONE. Or make it VOL/TONE/VOL/TONE like a Les Paul guitar. As it is I leave the blend alone.

If you like active EQs, I'd guess any of them would fit, as long as they can handle either (a) low impedence pickups or (b) a very high pickup input level into the preamp. A 9v preamp would end up giving you an 18v circuit - 9v battery for the active pickups and an 9v battery for the EQ. I beleive this is how many 18v systems with active pickups, like Peavey Millenium/Cirrus, etc. work. There's certainly enough room to support a preamp in the control cavity. You'd probably be best off with an EMG preamp. The active pickups in the V2 are very much active EMG copies.

Personally I'm happy with the tone of the passive EQ I'm not a big fan of on-board preamps on basses. Also, most often, passive EQ is better than really cheap active EQ.
  3. Gintaras

Gintaras Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    Hi, Philbiker.....I believe that it was your comment that I read in an earlier thread that said to leave things alone. I am going to take your advice. Also I have a sansamp bddi pedal that I can use instead. I just bought my bass last week and I believe that it sat around and was barely played. There were no scratches on it but rust on the strings and tarnished frets and spots on the gold hardware. Replaced the strings. cleaned the frets and set it up. The pots are scratchy and I have a new set that I might use to setup a simple vol/vol/tone. Let you know how it works