Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 20one, Feb 6, 2004.

1. 20one

Jan 10, 2003
    Abilene, TX
    These any good? From the reviews I've read online, they're good for their price but I'd like to see some input from some people here.

Thanks in advance!
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA a search.
  3. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Please consider using the search function, and then asking us specific questions.
  4. 20one

Jan 10, 2003
    Abilene, TX
    Sorry, didn't realize there was a search function...

If I were to get one, which would be more recommended? The V2 6 string or the HXB 405 Five string?
  5. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I think almost all Brices around here go evenly recomended. SO which do you like better, 5 or 6 strings? I prefer 5's and i like that particular model more but thats me,.
  6. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    I gut the HXB 406 and i absolutely love it, extremely versatile sound. I even use it for jazz.
  7. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    Dean_CustomJazz, I think you just singlehandedly decided for me which Brice to get by posting that pic. That is really nice, I've been wanting to see a Brice shown next to a person to see it's relative size. You can't really tell from the Rondo photos.

I wish it came in that amber color like the V2, but I can live without.
  8. How is the B considering this is only a 34 scale ?

Also I was considering going from 4 to 6 but don't want to spend alot at first, would you consider posting a sound clip if possible ?
  9. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio

i'm curious as well!

10. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    sorry about the late reply, but in response to the bridge width, tis true. and The B is not to shabby at all, its definately not the same as a 35' but sounds and feels pretty good to me. Setup was good outa the box, but after i did another to her, man she sings. I just recently slapped on some elixir Nanowebs, and OOOOO baby.
    I can honestly say, since i got this bass, i've worried less about my tone and what not, since it just sounds good everytime i pick it up.
  11. Dr.SixString

Apr 30, 2002
    The Brice has 16.5mm spacing at the bridge, my Streamer LX6 has the same string spacing at the bridge, anyway.. the Brice is wider at the nut.:D:confused: :bawl:
  12. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    that's cool.

i want to get a Brice 6. I have a Warwick Corvette Pro 6 and the spacing is OK, but i can't slap on my 6 - at all. my warwick is a neck diver - big time.

i just ordered the brice/douglas 5 string ash jazz bass; maybe in a couple of weeks i'll be able to order the 6.

thanks for all the posts, guys!

13. I ordered a Brice HXB 6 string fretless as a project bass.
    It is due to arrive today. Will post a review next week.

14. Well, this morning I mentioned that my brice 6 string fretless was due, and it arrived today at noon.

I already had a thorough rehearsal with it (4 hours) and will try to give to all bassists who are interested in a Brice a very neutral analysis.

Beforehand I want to say that Kurt at Rondomusic is a nice guy and responded to my answers immediately, it is definitely NOT my intention to bash him at all.

I informed him that I was looking for a temporary backup until my 6 string fretless custom was completed, which will take at least 4 or 5 more months, Kurt assured me that this bass would do the trick, and, since I've read a lot of positive reviews here on Talkbass, I gave it a shot. I paid $303.00 including shipping to Los Angeles for it and waited patiently.
    So, when it arrived today and I opened the box I was in for a suprise. The color of the headstock did not match the body's color at all. The body had a very close ivory color, while the headstock's color was almost "brownish", cheddar and swiss cheese comes to my mind. Well, that would be something to ignore, especially if the rest is alright, but now here it comes:

1. ~ 1 1/2" crack on the headstock, amateurishly filled with
    some kind of glue and varnished over, highly visible.
    2. Paint streaks on the finger board;
    3. Glue residue on the fingerboard, side and rear of the neck;
    4. The E and Low B are so lose, a rubber band is tighter,
    even with "moderately" high action.
    5. The string spacing between the A and D string is narrower
    than between the others.

the pickups sound bright and very harsh, but I didn't care about that, since I planned exchanging them with barts.

The bass looks "patched" together that it does not even come close to the pics shown on rondomusic's site.
    In it's current shape this bass is unplayable.

Kurt offered me immediately an exchange but I already gave it to one of my students as a gift, that how upset I was. His father is a tech and will try to make this bass playable.

A lemon? Definitely YES.
    This could have been easily prevented with Rondomusic's appropriate quality control.

Avoid Brice? I will, but that's everyone's opinion and decision. The prices are definitely good, and if I'd live close to NJ, I'd visit rondomusic's store and try out a bass personally before I purchase it.
    Stay away from low price gear? Not necessarily.
    I purchased 5 months ago a Behringer BX3000T bass amp, after more than 50 gigs and uncounted rehearsals, that thing delivers.

Again, it is not my intention to bash Kurt or anyone who tries to provide musicians with reasonably priced gear, but appropriate quality control should be mandatory.

Well I've cut my losses and will move on.

Mesa Boogie M2000
    Mesa Walkabout
    Behringer BX3000T
    Diesel cabs
    RR cabs
    EA CXL112 cabs
  15. Sorry to hear about your lemon HXB-6 fretless. That's actually the second similar review I've read, the other one was on a V2-6. Just to add my two cents, my Brice V2-5 fretless arrived in great condition, no cracks or blobs of glue on this one. Actually, mine is so smooth it seems that someone took the time to hand rub all surfaces. The only thing I had to do to it was put on a good set of strings and I'm very pleased. Mine looks nice, has good tone, and is a joy to play.
  16. I wouldn't avoid brice because of that, but hey. I think that exchanging it is the way to go...really the quality control isnt the greatest there, and many people even get the wrong basses shipped sometimes, but they get tons of orders daily (although not an excuse) and they arent like a huge business. If you had exchanged it I'm certain you would have received a better one which you would have been pleased with (well, 300 bucks for me is food for a month :p ). Anyway...there will always be lemons, but if you can try it out go ahead...if you have a lot of time, order it...kurt is very good about exchanges if you arent satisfied.
  17. Dr.SixString

Apr 30, 2002
    My Brice HXB6 (fretted) arrived in great condition too, seems that someone took the time to hand rub all surfaces;) .no cracks, glue or anything, the string spacing is very precize so probably JSCHRO7376 got one of the "*******" basses :) By the way I have about 20 basses, all high end and no Korean or Chinese made bass (my Yamaha TRB6II is the cheapest bass I own) 'till the Brice, actually I got it because I was very curious about the quality of the cheapo asian made basses (well I picked the Brice without specific reason:D) I think that the Brice (at least MY Brice) is really great for the money (200 bucks straight from Rondo's ) no doubt!
  18. Now that i see that, I really think you should exchange the Lemon.
  19. A while back there was some talk of a Neck Thru, 35" scale, wide neck 6 that would be avalible soon. Anyone hear how the progress on that thing is going?
  20. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    JSCHRO7376, sorry to hear about your bad experience. My new 6 string fretless Brice V2 is usable. Not a collector's item, that's for sure, but playable and decent sounding. (I got to play it and inspect at the Rondo Store in NJ, I didn't go mail order)

If you're still looking for a low priced 6 string fretless to tide you over while you wait for a built one, I would recommend a Dean Edge 6 fretless. I have a Dean Edge 5 fretless, and I can tell you it's much better than my Brice in every way. Better hardware, better pickups (EMG-HZ - may be usable for you), much better craftsmanship, etc. It cost twice the price of my Brice (still a bargain price) and it shows. Definitely worth checking out. :bassist:

Here's a link.