Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bridge Buzzing?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Wxp4759cb, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Sometimes when I play fairly hard I am getting a faint buzzing sound. Its not coming from the string/fingerboard, and its not very loud, but it gets picked up by microphones. If I hold onto my bridge it goes away. Is it the bridge itself vibrating, or is holding it just preventing the vibrations from reaching the body and actually vibrating the endpin? (i have bridge adjusters if that matters)

Anything I can try to remedy it?

Thanks.

2. 5_string_player

5_string_player

Jun 21, 2005
    From my experience, it's usually that something is loose, inside or outside the bass. I don't think the bridge is causeing the buzzing, because literally, it is a solid piece of wood. Sometimes, the tailpiece is to blame (that includes the tailpiece wire, and the saddle). But if that's not the case, then it is definitly something on the inside of the bass.

I know my answer is a blatant answer, but that's all i can say as far as the buzzing goes.

3. 1st Bass

1st Bass

May 26, 2005
    Forest Grove, OR
    A faint buzz can occur (in violins, at least) if the relief filed into the bridge is just open enough that the string contacts it, when it vibrates.

I had one that puzzled me until I noticed that one of the windings was broken, and the tiny piece of vibrating wire was making the buzz.

4. Chris, we've addressed the buzzing issue, as you could imagine, endlessly. The possibilities are many.
    Do a search under buzzing, etc.......

5. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I did a search already and didn't find what i was looking for, but i will try again. I mostly was just wanting to know if the bridge adjusters themselves could buzz, which I hadn't seen discussed.

6. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Sometimes the wheel of the bridge adjuster becomes seperated from the threaded shaft. This only happens on the lower-end bridge adjusters. If your adjuster wheel moves and your string heights do not change, this might be a culprit for buzzing...