Bridge contact surface

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by MIB, Jun 16, 2005.

1. MIB

Jun 16, 2005

I'm new to this forum and also as double bass player. I bought a quite cheap bass. The bridge was too high, so I let a luthier mounting two screws on the feed of the bridge so I'm able to adjust the bridge's height. Now the bass is easier to play but I'm not sure, if the sound is good. The surface of the bridge's feed is not really laying on the bass body (the luthier did not really a good job). How much can this affect the sound? Should I bring the bass to another luthier to repair this?
    Thanx for help.
  2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Lots. The feet of the bridge must make good contact with the top. Is it possible that the bridge is cut correctly, but just leaning one way or the other? The usual scenario is that it's leaning towards the scroll, due to inattention when restringing. If you have doubts, take it to a luthier who knows double basses.
  3. MIB

Jun 16, 2005
    Thanx for your answer (I've feared it). Unfortunatelly, the bridge has the right position, but the feed are not cut correctly.Anyway, I will bring the bass to a different luthier.
  4. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    I know this sounds dumb...but could the bridge be on upside down?
  5. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    Where in Switzerland are you?
    I might know a good luthier depending on where you live...

6. MIB

Jun 16, 2005
    No, the bridge is right (but a good point). The reason, why the feeds are not fitting anymore is, that the luthier had only the bridge (no bass) and he's work was not that precise...
    I live in Zurich City and I know here some luthiers (Rast, Maissen). But maybe you can recommend one.
  7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You can't fit the feet properly without the bass being there. Can't blame the luthier for that.
  8. hofner

Dec 7, 2003
    yep. The luthier have nothing to do with your problem. You should bring the bass to him, not only the bridge. He will adjust the feets to the table correctly...
  9. MIB

Jun 16, 2005
    I don't want to blame the luthier or to condemn him. He told me, that he was doing this setup the first time and that he would not need the bass for that. But as he told me afterwards, he was surprised himself, how difficult the setup was. So, nobody is guilty.
  10. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Eh? Sounds like he doesn't know what he's doing! :eyebrow:
  11. I thought only us Canuks said "Eh".
  12. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Sounds like it's Canadian, but I mean to steal the ones from Anime flicks that denote a "what?" remark....

eeeeehhhhHHHH?!?!? :eyebrow: :D