Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bridge height help

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Nivaca, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Nivaca

Nivaca

Jan 8, 2005
    I own a small 3/4 carved bass, but I don't know which height of the bridge I should use. Currently I'm using a 3/4 Bausch bridge (see foto), but I had to trim it excessively.
    What can I do? Should I switch to a 1/2 or 1/4 bridge?
    Thanks for any help.

Attached Files:

2. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    What bass is this for? Sometimes a 1/2 size bridge blank will fit a 3/4 bass better than the 3/4 blanks commonly sold. Most importantly: what is the distance (at the ff hole notch) from the outside of the bass bar to the center seam of the top?

3. Nivaca

Nivaca

Jan 8, 2005
    Its a small italian violin-shaped 3/4 bass. The distance from the outside of the bass bar to the center of the seam of the top is 2 1/4 " (6.5 cm). Thanks for the help.

4. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Who does your setup work?

A 150 mm, low-heart bridge might work; that would leave 10 mm of overhang over the bar. But a 1/2 size blank could also suit your bass. Despiau and Teller make good bridges. Aubert is hard to come by nowadays.

Just curious... are you having any trouble with thumb position? Could you post some pics of this bass?

5. Nivaca

Nivaca

Jan 8, 2005
    Ok, thanks for the tip.
    I've had no trouble with thumb position (in fact, I also play a 7/8 plywood bass, and I feel no big difference in thumb position between both of them). Here's the "best" pics I currently have of the bass -- sorry I'm in there also. :cool:
    In the pics I'm using a 1/2 adjustable bridge (SWStrings AH40H adjustable bridge); what I did with that bridge was the following: in order to avoid trimming near the heart, I trimmed a bit (almost 1/2") from the legs, at the point in which the adjusters are inserted. What do you think of that?
    Any more advices on that topic?

6. It looks like even with the wood taken out of the legs at the adjusters (which was a good idea), that the wood area above the heart is still short. The Despiau 3/4 low arch with low heart could be a good starting point. Despiau has 3 arch sizes available as well as 3 heart positions.

How does the bass sound the way it is pictured?

7. Nivaca

Nivaca

Jan 8, 2005
    I found that Quinn Violins sells Despiau bass bridges, buy there's no descriptions or pics of them. Where can I find that?

The way its pictured, the bass sounds fine; in thumb positions sounds very nice, thought I would like a bit more of bass sound in the E string; I think the problem is with the strings I'm using (Corelli 370s). I'll try to switch to D'Addario Hybrids. Any suggestions?

8. hofner

hofner

Dec 7, 2003
    france
  9. I recently obtained a bridge from Quinn. I tried Despiau first, but they were slow returning my e-mail request so I just picked out the bridge from the Despiau site and its related numbers and then ordered from Quinn. Quinn was fast. Despiau gives you some measurements, but there is still some guesswork. The low arch, low heart is the one with the shortest legs and would leave the most wood at the top. One source recommends at least 7/8" of wood above the heart. My 3/4 plywood bass has the same challenges at the bridge, so I'll soon be dealing with what you are dealing with when I repair it.

I don't know much about getting the E louder. There are various methods mentioned on some tailpiece/tailgut threads, but nothing that I have tried. Look for posts by "eroy" from Upton's. Playing around with the east-west placement of the sound post might help. I have also read that a higher bridge accentuates the E, but I have no practical experience with that and for you (or me with my plywood) that would mean a neck reset. I don't plan to go fishing there on mine.

10. Nivaca

Nivaca

Jan 8, 2005
    Yeah, I talked to a local luthier and told me that something usually done in such cases is to open the angle that forms between the fingerboard and the top of the bass -- but that requires a lot of work and time. I think I'll try the low-hearted bridge you suggest. Thanks for the tip!