1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bridge Placement

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by scobis215, Mar 15, 2010.

1. I am starting to buy parts for my first P-bass build. Just bought an unfinished Mighty Mite body which doesn't have holes drilled for a bridge. Been googling everywhere to try and find out how I know where to drill, but am not finding much. Can anyone here help? What do I measure and where do I drill for a bridge? Right now I'm planning on getting a Gotoh 201 if that makes a difference. Thanks!

2. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    Wait until you have the bridge or its exact dimensions in your hands before drilling any holes. :D The 201 has 19mm spacing which is fender replacement size.

1. If your neck is a 34" scale, then find the centreline on the body and mark it. Double check it.

2. With the neck mounted and your measurements double checked and very accurate, find the zero saddle point (34" precisely from the fretboard edge of the nut) and mark it across the centreline. Double check again.

3. Adjust the bridge saddles to their most open position minus a few turns and then line up the bridge saddles over this point referencing the zero saddle point line and the centrelines you drew on the bass. Double check everything. Then check it again.

4. Mark the holes and double check everything again.

5. Carefully predrill the holes and check it all again. Install the bridge and string it up.

The saddles can be in the open position when you set it up because in practicality, you only ever really need to move the saddles backward when setting the intonation. It might be nice though, to have a little adjustability in case you decide to change the tuning of the bass or switch to super light string gauges as our own Jason recently pointed out.

3. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    Or, in case you screwed up a little (it happens)

4. Rocky McD

Rocky McD

Jun 28, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Builder,mcdcustomguitars
    If the neck fits in the neck pocket tightly you can avoid problems . If it is a little sloppy, it can affect where you place the bridge because you are extending the center line of the neck to center the bridge. I usuall a tight string to locate the bridge center point. Or, use two strings in the outer slots on the nut to show where the edge of the string will be ian relation to the side of the neck. Extend the strings to the saddle notches on the outer saddles. I think this is more accurate.
    Rocky

5. Thanks for all the help everybody! I'll be making sure to post pics as thinks start rolling. Really excited to get this all going.

6. Another quick question... Once I mark out where the bridge is going, what do I use to drill the hole to pass the ground wire through? I guess just an extra long drill bit. And how do I make this line up with the hole that will be coming out of the top of the body so I can attach the ground wire? Thanks again guys. I really hope I'm not overlooking a sticky (I looked through them), but if I am just let me know.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 30, 2020