Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bridge Probs

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ((ZASDER)), Mar 25, 2005.

1. ((ZASDER))

((ZASDER))

Feb 26, 2005
    Buffalo NY
    I just got a new bridge for my fender p bass from this store but its used. It works fine its just theres this messed up white stuff over the sattles that disallows me to move them up and down. I got most of them free but the last one wont move a single budge.

All the other strings are normal except the E Its tuned properly but its so lose becuase I had to take it off to fix the saddles and yet I still cant move the saddle up or down those lil screws are unmovable!

Did I really fudge over my bass?

2. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    No, but I'd probably put the original bridge back on. Why did you buy the used bridge?

3. ((ZASDER))

((ZASDER))

Feb 26, 2005
    Buffalo NY
    It was an upgrade because my old briadge the saddles are striped and wont stay up. So I kinda had to get a new bridge. This new bridge is a really nice just this crap on it that makes you unable to move the saddles up and down.

4. JAL

JAL

Dec 15, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Step numero uno
    Take the new one off, put the old one on.
    Step numero dos
    Buy (or borrow) a good solvent.
    Dissolve the stuff.
    I did this for an old basses of mines hardware...took grime *And the finish* off.
    So be cautioned; the grime will go, but so will the sparkle.

5. ((ZASDER))

((ZASDER))

Feb 26, 2005
    Buffalo NY
    Fixed it I just took plyers are bent the saddle screws off and stuck the lil screws from my old bridge on. Works fine now. Why would I take the new one off...? its a great bridge my teacher said to find a way to move the saddles which I did..thanks for the help.

6. Yeah, it sounds like somebody put Loctite or something similar on them so they wouldn't vibrate loose up and move.

7. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Should be no reason to use loctite on those, but I agree with your diagnosis. Someone did put loctite or something on them even though you shouldn't.