Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bridge profile: a pyramid?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by GeoffK, Sep 12, 2004.

1. GeoffK

GeoffK

Sep 9, 2004
    David Gage on his site says that the bridge, viewed from the side, should be a tall, thin pyramid -- to me, that suggests an isosceles triangle, with the two faces being equal.

The bridge that came with my new bass is anything but: it's flat on the bottom and gently arc-ed on the top. I fitted it, as is, to the bass -- the feet fit perfectly in between the notches at the F-holes, which suggests to me that the feet don't need any further shaping. However, the string height (E-string) is a good 2 cm at the fb end; clearly, I need to lower it -- I have found a few ways to do this; but I've found nothing here which tells me whether I should sand the face of the bridge (i.e. the arc-ed face) to get the so-called pyramid. And, even if I sand the one face flat, the bridge won't be a pyramid (i.e. an isoscles triangle) but rather a scalene triangle (i.e. with not sides of equal length), and a 90 degree angle, where the bottom face of the bridge meets the body of the instrument).

Thanks everyone.

GeoffK

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    This is the proper way to make a bridge, AFAIK.

3. GeoffK

GeoffK

Sep 9, 2004
    c'etait ce que je pensais, moi aussi, Francois. Merci mille fois.

GeoffK
    (jusqu'a recemment d'Ottawa - presentement en Angleterre. Vive le Quebec libre!!! ;)

4. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Eh! Salue les Québécois là-bas de ma part! (et toi aussi, bien sûr!)
    Là tu parles!
    :D

P.S. Les anglais boivent-ils vraiment la bière chambrée? Beurk!

5. Merd.
    You guys just lost my respect.
    And no, this isn't the place to discuss it.

6. I'm guilty of kneejerk posting.
    No, you guys haven't posted anything that would cause me to lose respect for you.
    And no, I don't think Quebec sovereignty would be a good thing for anybody.
    Opinion: DeGaulle was a bonehead. For him I lost all respect.

7. GeoffK

GeoffK

Sep 9, 2004
    no worries, Eric. We were just having some fun. ;)

GeoffK