Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bridge string spacing question, pleaase help!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by newbass, Mar 1, 2004.

1. newbass

newbass

Mar 18, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    I'm getting very close to having my luthier friend start building my custom bass, and I desperately need help. I am special ordering an AERO K series PHP pickup with 16 mm string and I need to know if the Hipshot "A" series 6 string bass bridge has, or can be adjusted to have that spacing. Please be as detailed as possible. I wouldn't be this demanding normally, but I need to know quickly and for sure. Thank you for all your help in the past.

I'm sorry that I'm reposting, but I need this answered and I've searched all over the net!!! Please help!

2. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I'll guess that either you couldn't find the Hipshot website, were afraid to call them directly, or were unable to do the math yourself, so here it is:

Take a look at www.hipshotproducts.com. click bass bridges; click a-type; click to open the specs .pdf. You will find that they make three different versions of the 4-string A bridges, with different widths.

For the smallest one:

outer string centers dimension: 1.968"
    sideways adjustment per saddle: .0680
    resulting minimum outer string centers dimension, adjusted fully inwards: 1.968-.068 = 1.900
    resulting string-to-string: 1.900/3 = .063333"; .063333*25.4 = 16.09mm

So, the answer is yes, if you're sure to get the smallest version of the 4-string A-type. You will have to be sure to mount the bridge in the exact right spot, since you will be using up all of the saddle adjustment.

On the other hand, strings do not always have to be exactly centered on the polepieces.

3. newbass

newbass

Mar 18, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Thanks, but...I'm buying the six string A style Hipshot, and I did check the website, including the spec page. I'll try to figure the spacing out, but could someone please tell me. Thank you for answering!

4. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Peter DID tell you. Read the post again. ;)

Also, why not get it from the horse's mouth? Call Hipshot and ask them. They ought to know. And they do answer the phone; I've called them once or twice and they're friendly, pleasant people IME.

5. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Ummm.... yeah. I already went to the website, found the docs, and did the math for you. If 16.1mm is close enough to 16mm for you (it is for me), then you're in. Try reading the post again. :meh:

6. newbass

newbass

Mar 18, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Sorry I came off like a jerk, and I really appreciate you going to all that trouble, but your specifications were for a four string. My bass is going to be a six string. But, I can figure it out. I'm going to call later. Thank you. Sorry if I rubbed anyone the wrong way, I didn't mean to.

7. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Oh - I missed the "6-string" in your original post. You can go to the .pdf, get the dimensions for the outer string width and per-string adjustibility on the narrowest version of the 6 bridge, and do the same calculation, just dividing by 5 instead of 3. It's likely that if they have one that allows the strings that narrow on a 4, they'll also have it for a 6.