Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bridge Style Selection

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by B. Graham, Feb 28, 2006.

1. B. Graham

B. Graham Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    Are there any functional differences between Bausch, Wien, German, French, Dresden, Aubert, Despiau, and 3 heart bridges? I think I'd like to try my luck at fitting a new one, without adjusters.

Personally I like the look of the Wien model, but admittedly I have not seen an Aubert or Despiau.

Thanks.

2. B. Graham

B. Graham Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    I guess the answer is no.

3. glivanos

glivanos Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2005
    Philadelphia Area
    I'll reply to your question Bill. Of course it is my opinion.

I recently had my Bauch bridge replaced with a Bob Golihur style adjustable bridge which was fitted by a local luthier.

I will say it changed the sound of my bass by decreasing the amount of brightness, which was a good thing since I thought my bass, Strunal Model 50/4, was a little on the bright side anyway.

Don't know if it was the style of bridge or the adjusters, but it did make a slight difference.

Hope this helps

4. B. Graham

B. Graham Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    Thanks for your reply.

I was wondering about this, adjusters aside, because of a thread I saw where removing the bridge wings was discuss. Not sure I'm ready to go that far, but some bridges look to have varying sizes of wings.

5. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    As I understand it, the wings interact more with arco playing than pizz.

6. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    The density of the wood has more to do with the sound than the bridge style. I find that bridges that have a higher pitch when struck by something like your fingernail have more focus than ones that are lower in pitch. Of course the amount of wood has to do with pitch as well but so far my findings have been consistent.

7. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    i'm actually thinking about fitting a bridge my self too.
    i had my bass setup, the guy didn't thin the bridge out much and i was thinking it was making my bass sound bright and the bottom end weak......
    i had a different luthier (not really a bass luthier) put some adjusters in it, he thinned out the top of the bridge just a little bit and that did bring out the bottom end of the bass some, but now the feet don't fit the top plate perfectly and he installed the adjusters upside down.........
    i know how high i want my strings now so i think i'm just gonna order a bridge and see how well i can fit it.

soooo, i too am curious if there are differences in all the bridges.

8. glivanos

glivanos Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2005
    Philadelphia Area
    Bob Golihur has instructions on how to set up his adjustable bridges yourself.

I'm sure its not hard, but I'm "woodworking skills" challenged.:crying:

9. I'd like to hear a luthier answer this one. I'm thinking about a new bridge is also and am just as curious as Bill to the timbre difference.

10. First off, Bausch, Aubert, and Despiau are brands and each brand has several models. As stated earlier, wood quality bares a great deal in performance (and even more in price). Dimensional changes from model to model do have effect (ie thickness, total height, graduation of the taper from top to bottom, height and shape of the arch, shape of the flare at the feet, size shape and location of the heart and kidneys, etc etc) but it is extremely difficult to state how each of these will effect the tone of YOUR bass because each and every instrument is different (I had to give the same spiel to a client today about sound post placement, in his bass, it sound best out of place). more important then any of the above will be the quality of the fitting. With out full and precise fit at the feet you will be unable to achieve optimal tone.

11. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I knew a girl like that once.

12. No wonder Ray, you live in NYC!!!

13. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    I pay very close attention in my shop to the spleen. Also, if the pancreas becomes inflamed, the tone will be fatal.:smug:

14. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    I think anything that sits on the Top, Belly or Breast of the Bass should be taken seriously. I would pay extra attention to anything causing extra pressure on any Breast for that matter. ;)