Bridges - Switching from Top Load to String Through

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by TheRagingSwede, Jun 10, 2005.

1. Can any experienced folks out there let me know how difficult it is to go from a stock Fender bridge to a string through (such as the Gotoh 206)? Is it easy to screw up drilling holes for the ferrules? What would I have to watch out for?
  2. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    This is one case where I would definitely recommend you have a drill press if you want to attempt this yourself.

3. What he said :bassist:

Yes it IS possible to screw it up. IN the case of ferrules, it's a 3 stage drilling process. The first hole goes all the way through, the second is larger to fit the body of the ferrule but only as deep as needed for it, and the third is the countersink for the ferrule flange. However, I like to drill my small holes first, marked and drilled from the face, then the largest flange hole, and finally the middle sized body hole drilled from the back. This way I'm using the centers of previously drilled holes for centering the bit for the new hole.
  4. Hambone, you rule.

As a side question for you (seeing as I cannot do PM's), if I were to acquire a bass upon which i would like to have this and a few other minor operations done, would it be possible for me to request sending it to you, paying a minor fee, and having the work done?

What I had in mind was swapping the stock pickups in an aerodyne for quarter pounders, putting some shielding in the cavity, and doing the aforementioned bridge change from the stock to a gotoh 206. While I have done things like this myself in the past, I think your expertise would be much appreciated.
  5. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I 2nd that statement. I would have gone through, then the larger hole for the ferrule, finally the largest for the countersink. Obviously, Ham's suggestion is much better.

But, on an Aerodyne can this be done? Seeing as the body is sloped from the center out, wouldn't a bit of routing need to be done as well?
  6. Probably, I don't know. I've only ever replaced the bridge on a standard jazz. Thats why I want to enlist the assistance of an expert when I eventually take on this project.
  7. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    Swede, not to rain on your parade or anything, but what is it you're trying to accomplish? I went through many years of modifying basses to be strings through (still got one now), and I gotta say, there are so many things that will make a much bigger difference in the tone than stringing through does. It does make a diff, but it's a small one. Smaller than moving your plucking hand a couple inches either towards the bridge or away from it. Honestly, if I had to do over again, I'd pass.

However, if you're Hell-bent, I would suggest getting the Carvin extended ferrules. With these, you don't have to worry about string length. They allow you to string through without adding any more length to the string...regular length strings will work fine.

Bass Ferrule
  8. To install the bridge on the face, I would think so. I haven't seen an Aerodyne up close but the curved top would have to be compensated for by routing out a flat spot for the bridge. The holes would drop down like normal and the back holes would work the same, I think. Unless the back is curved too? Is it?

How's it going Stu? ;)
  9. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Like yourself, I haven't seen one in person either. So, I'm not sure if the back is flat or not.

BTW, good to talk to you again since my brain quit working ;)
  10. The back is built just like a standard J-bass. If I remember correctly, the original bridge has some routing for it, but to replace it with what I want would require some more. I could be wrong :bag:

Oh, and in reference to my inability to send PM's, its just because I'm a dummy and didn't check thoroughly enough. :p