Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bridging QSC PLX question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by newchibass, Dec 17, 2004.

1. newchibass

newchibass

May 21, 2004
    Chicago
    I have a new PLX 1602 being delivered to me today. This is my first journey into a power/pre setup and I had a few questions: 1) I will be initially bridging this into a Acme B2 (4 ohms) with 1/4 inputs. Do I need speakon connectors (from the amp) in order to do this? If I don't need to should I anyway in terms of ease of use or sound quality? Thanks.

2. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    The amp has both Speakon and binding post output connectors. Pages 16 and 17 of the manual show pictorially everything there is to know about how to use either type for bridged mono.

3. There are a lot of post on this subject. Do a search.
    If you are unsure how to hook it up...carefully read the manual it's well written. Your best bet, since you're new at it, is to use a Banana Plug going to the back of the amp and a normally wired speakon connector going to the Acme cab.

You MUST have the dip switches on the back of the amp set correctly and then use both RED OUTPUTS on the back of the PLX to correctly BRIDGE. If you make up a cable make sure the + and - are correctly connected on the speakon.

You would then take the NEG (-) Black banana plug to the RED Channel TWO and the POSITIVE (+) RED banana plug to the RED Channel ONE. That way your are "BRIDGING" the two power sections of the PLX.

LOOK over your manual and understand what you're doing first. You can really mess up your gear if you don't and get a horrilbe shock too....

Once you have it properly bridged, be careful how you start running it. Take it easy first and remember there is BOOKOO current runnning through the cables. You benefit is gaining "headroom" by bridging your amp meaning you have more clean power. Watch your clip light on the front they tell you if you're sending too much to the cab and over taxing your amp.

Also, with a PLX when Bridged you only turn up the gain control on Channel ONE leave Channel Two completer off as Ch 1 is the MAIN on this amp. Good Luck and have fun.

4. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    On a PLX amp, channel 2's gain control is completely out of the circuit, and its setting doesn't matter. Everything else you wrote was right on target! ;)

5. newchibass

newchibass

May 21, 2004
    Chicago
    Thanks for the info!

Mike

6. Ahhh, thanks Bob. Is that an improvement or was it always like that? I seemed to remember some advise as to making sure Ch2 was off all the way when Bridging.

7. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    That's with the RMX amps. The internal signal routing for bridged operation is a bit primitive compared to the PLX and PowerLight amps, but that's also one of the reasons they cost less. ;)

8. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    One more point - don't feel you have to turn the gain controls on the PLX all the way up. You still get all the headroom and power with the volume knobs down low, it just takes a higher voltage from the preamp to max out the power amp. When I started off using my PLX 3002, running the channels in parallel @ 4 ohms (=900W RMS) into a pair of Low-B2s, I had the knobs all the way up because I wanted to make sure I got every ounce of power. Totally unnecessary and just asking for something to go back when you step on the wrong effect pedal or unplug your bass without thinking.

I now generally keep the gain controls at 12 o'clock, which is sufficient gain to really push the Acmes with an SWR Grand Prix driving the PLX.

Alex