1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bright strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by TechDeath, Aug 21, 2012.

1. TechDeath

TechDeath

May 16, 2012
    Just bought me some DR Hi-Beams and wasn't that impressed, sound is not that far off from the old daddario nickels I had, I want strings that really punch and not having a lot of success.

I wanted my bass to sound like a band called Abiotic. Look up the song Conquest of Gliese

2. I had that exact situation as well, trying DR Hi-Beams with similar hopes and not being impressed by them at all (even thought it seems many people love them). Then I tried a set of Rotosound Swing 66 stainless steels and my pants blew off. They are probably the best strings I have ever played. Super bright punch, felt very powerful and just give a great sound. There are many fans of these and I'm sure many others will chime in for you to give these a whirl. Based on what I have gathered from others' opinions, these are the brightest strings out there. Try a set and I hope you find what you are looking for.

3. jg42

jg42

Jul 12, 2012
    Toronto
    ^^^ 100% agree - Rotos rule!

4. bumperbass

bumperbass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2012
    I used to use 66's for years! After a few years, you will notice fret wear. It's a trade-off. Makes me want to buy a set again, especially since amps and speakers have come so far in the last 15 years.
    I've used D'Addario nickels for as long as I care to remember. No fret-wear. I always felt the D's left me in a comfort zone, not wanting to try another brand and be disappointed like you seem to be.

5. TechDeath

TechDeath

May 16, 2012
    How long do they last in low humidity?

6. TechDeath

TechDeath

May 16, 2012
    I've heard about roto's but I've heard they wear out amazingly fast

7. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    They won't last as long as DR's, and they will eat your frets, but that's the tradeoff for bright strings!

8. Eh... People say that but I've never noticed them being particularly hard on frets.

9. The strings that come on stock ibanezs are super bright. Im pretty sure their elixers. I thought the brightness would tone down after a couple months but it just wouldnt. Also anything steel is bright but you need steel frets or the strings will eat them up.

10. TechDeath

TechDeath

May 16, 2012
    I have a 92 squier precision bass. At this point I don't care about the frets lol

11. Roto 66's.

I love what they have done with my Squire VM jazz five.

12. Catbuster

Catbuster

Aug 25, 2010
    Louisville, KY.
    Blue Steels or ProSteels are brighter than Rotosounds. No doubt about it.

13. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Blue Steels are not brighter than Rotos. And Rotos are much more aggressive sounding.
    Both will chew your frets if you play even the slightest bit aggressively. Both are great strings though.

14. TechDeath

TechDeath

May 16, 2012
    Lol I've heard the exact opposite from that, I was told rotos are as bright as they get

15. Catbuster

Catbuster

Aug 25, 2010
    Louisville, KY.
    To clarify my statement they are aggressive, middy and rough yes. But I don't think they're brighter. Maybe brighter, as in bright- but in terms of helping out with an articulate top end, no way the best.