Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

broad neck for slapping??

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by citizen, Oct 15, 2003.

1. citizen

citizen

Jan 24, 2003
    FRANCE,paris
    Hi, i am on the way to own a warwick fna corvette jazzman or a streamer jazzman, and i begin to wonder if i need a broad neck for slapping.But i use to play on a 6 string, so, a broad neck can be a little bit strange for me.

I would like to have your opinion, because i didn t pay slap on my 6 strings,but i really like this technique, and i want to do it again.

will i manage with a std neck on my warwick?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You should be able to do it, but I prefer a relatively wide neck that allows 19(+) mm string spacing.

3. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    I have very small hands and prefer a tight spacing for slapping. I'm not sure if I prefer it because of my hand size or because that's what I learned on. Either way, you should be fine with enough practice though.

4. My Yamaha's got about a 3/4" spacing at the bridge and I love it.

5. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    It's not the width of the neck that is important per se but the string spacing (although obviously, wider spacing will tend to come with a wider neck).

The 18mm spacing at the bridge on my Sei bass is fine but I used to find the 15mm on my Washburn XB-600 too tight (that one has a new lease of life now as a fretless instrument, so the techniques I use don't depend so much on having some space).

Wulf

6. You get used to slapping on any bass with time, I used to have a 5 string with a reasonably wide neck and I can slap on that no problems. I have a warwick 5 string and its fine for slapping. I think youll have no trouble.

7. freakbass

freakbass "Pile-drivingly Heavy" since 1983

I'm the exact opposite. I like my string spacing to be as close together as possible. i guess that's why it's hard for me to find a bass i like :bassist:

8. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Do you do much slapping on your basses?

Wulf

9. freakbass

freakbass "Pile-drivingly Heavy" since 1983

i actually do quite a bit. (and have been quite successfull at it):D I tend to use both the "open-hammer-pluck" technique and the "thumb down-up-pluck" technique. For some reason i just don't like it all spread out. I can do it on a bass with a larger string spacing, but I'm much faster if the strings are closer together. I guess it's just diff'rent stroke for diff'rent folks. :bassist:

10. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    That's the one rule ;)

I found the 'double thump' based techniques very frustrating on a narrow (15mm) spaced bass but much more useable on my main instrument (18mm).

That's why the best answer for any gear related questions is always try it :D

Wulf