1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Broken Input Jack

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Crazyfist, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Crazyfist

Crazyfist

Sep 26, 2011
    The problem just suddenly happened a few days ago without warning! :spit:
    Whenever I plug my bass into an amp, there is no output, or at least there is the teeniest tiniest amount when I turn everything on my amp all the way up!
    I've checked if it's either the amp, the battery or the lead by plugging into different things and I'm pretty sure it's the bass that's the problem.

I've opened it up to have a look, but it doesn't look like there's anything wrong with it... Then again, I'm a bit of a noob at the moment with this sort of stuff.

I can't upload pictures at this time, but any thoughts on what the problem might be would be greatly appreciated.

It's a green Yamaha RBX765A if that helps at all. I think it's an enclosed jack,

Thanks for reading,
    Crazyfist

2. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner Mo's Shop & MBD - Tech Nordstrand

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    is it active? obvious question, did you check the battery?

M

3. Crazyfist

Crazyfist

Sep 26, 2011
    Sorry, forgot to mention that! Yes, it's active, a single 9 volt battery. It's not the battery either... I did the licking test to be sure!

Crazyfist

4. audioglenn

audioglenn

Jul 14, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    The "licking test" is not enough. Even a battery with much less than 9 volts will still give you a jolt on your tongue, but NOT have enough voltage to power your pickups. You should definitely try a new battery. That could very well solve the problem. And don't get a cheap battery, either.

5. maurilio

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    licking test, I like that :D

Yes, licking test isn't accurate and a new battery would eliminate all the doubts (Those are not active pups, btw).

Yeah, no surprise if the jack was broken, those things are crap.

Just these last few weeks I had three customers coming in with the same problem. I modified the instruments with traditional switchcraft jack and football plate…

M

6. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    BTW, it's an OUTput jack, not an input. The terminology is important because it helps you understand troubleshooting. The signal goes OUT of the bass.

First thing to check on an active instrument is the battery. As suggested above, go out and buy a new, good alkaline battery and install it.

Also check the jack with a plug in it. Look closely to make sure there is good contact at each point.

John

7. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    If it's a common Yamaha bass, testing the contacts with a plug won't be easy as they all use barrel jacks.

8. InternetAlias

InternetAlias

Dec 16, 2010
    Serbia
    Yamaha RBX are NOTORIOUS for ****** jacks.

9. Crazyfist

Crazyfist

Sep 26, 2011
    Ahhh... Thanks for the corrections on terminology as well, I'm not very good with this area of bass at the moment :)

Well, I tried a new battery and it hasn't worked. What could it be now? I'm presuming it is a barrel jack, are they the same thing as an enclosed jack?

Crazyfist

10. maurilio

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    yes. My suggestion, find some one who would install a standard switchcraft and the football plate. You'll spend a little more, but it will last 10 times longer

M

11. Crazyfist

Crazyfist

Sep 26, 2011
    What does football have to do with it?

Just kidding... But does that mean I'll have to replace the output jack (?)

Crazyfist

12. maurilio

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    yes.

guitar-output-plate-jack-01.

13. Crazyfist

Crazyfist

Sep 26, 2011
    Meh, that's not what I expected the outcome of all of this to be, but if this will make it work then that's fine by me!

Thank you for the help! :)

Crazyfist

14. maurilio

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    well you can just replace the barrel jack (which will be a little cheaper), but expect to fail sooner than a "traditional" jack.

No biggie, just my experience/suggestion :smug:

M

15. Crazyfist

Crazyfist

Sep 26, 2011
    Cool, so an open jack like the one above would be more reliable than an enclosed/barrel jack?

How much do you think it would cost to get this sort of thing done by a professional or by myself? :)

Crazyfist

16. maurilio

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    barrel jack $10-$12 (+ event ship.)
    Switchcraft jack and plate ~12 (+ even ship.)

Installing the switchcraft jack implies enlarging the mounting whole, not at all of a problem.

Average costs:

Barrel ~$40
    SC ~$55

M

17. Crazyfist

Crazyfist

Sep 26, 2011
    Wait... Does a barrel cost $10 or $40? Sorry, I was a bit lost there.

18. Crazyfist

Crazyfist

Sep 26, 2011
    Oh wait, I get it! Would that be the cost of doing it by myself or getting a professional to do it? :)

19. InternetAlias

InternetAlias

Dec 16, 2010
    Serbia
    My friend got the plate and jack for 0.5$ and it's been working flawlessly for years. Never got my mind around why people buy such expensive jacks and plates.

20. maurilio

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    if you can tell me where can you find a switchcraft jack for .5 cents I'd love to know itÂ…...