1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bromberg & Bona

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Carlo Tanori, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Went to see Lee Ritenour & Friends last night at the Hollywood Bowl. He used 2 bassists, Richard Bona & Brian Bromberg. All I have to say is.....OMG! Wow! :eek:

Also playing in the band: Patrice Rushen on keys, and Alex Acuña on drums.

Brian was using a GK rig, and Richard was playing through a Glockenklang rig. Those 2 need to do a recording together.

They ended the set with the Herbie Hancock tune ''Cantelope Island'', and out comes on the stage.....yes, the man himself, Herbie Hancock. You had to have been there.

Carlo T.

2. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Wow, looks like a terrific concert.
    Can you describe a bit how they sounded / played ?

3. Sounds like Lee Ritenour has some awesome friends

4. DocBop

DocBop

Feb 22, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    It would of been interesting to hear how they worked together. Patrice Rushen that would of been great she is so underated.

I like Bromberg and Bona in different ways. In CD I like Bona better he focus on music and writes and plays great. Live Bona over does the bass pyrotechnics. Bromberg on his CD's he gets to commericial except for solo he does open up on solo. Live Bromberg doesn't hold back high energy and his great soloing. So as I said would be interesting to hear two guys who go for broke live play together.

But I'm spoiled I remember the days of seeing Ritenour play Tuesdays at the Baked Potato with Anthony Jackson, Harvy Mason, Patrice and the other greats.

5. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Sounds like a great show!

6. Yes, it was a great show! They both played great and had killer tone, and got just about equal solo time. One tune featured Richard soloing a la George Benson (singing w/notes). They even played Patrice Rushen's, ''Forget Me Nots''.

John Scofield (a trio) opened the show, with Steve Swallow on bass.

Carlo

7. +1.

Carlo

8. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Geez, and Scofield opened the set? You kiddin'. . .

That sounds like an unreal concert. . . sigh!

I can't imagine watching all those great together in one night.

9. Yes. Actually opening was a guitarist by the name of Lionel Loueke, then John Scofield, then L. Ritenour.

They all came back on stage to join Lee Ritenour for the last tune for the evening, ''Cantalope Island''. That's when Herbie Hancock came out and joined in on the fun. He and Patrice Rushen were trading solos (bars) in 4's, then 2's, etc...

Carlo

10. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    HOLY!!!

Louke opened for Sco who opened for Rit?

Are you sure you didn't die and go to guitar heaven?

11. Wow, that looks like a ridiculous show! I saw Loueke at the jazz festival and I thought he and his band sounded awesome.

12. Yes, that was order. The Hollywood Bowl has a rotating stage so one act goes off and the other one comes on. What a great show it was!

Carlo T.

13. Sounds like a great concert!

Any pics?

-Christian

14. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Herbie is out touring now with Lionel Loueke, Nathan East and Vinnie Colaiuta.

I saw them last night on Long Island, great show, check 'em out if you get a chance.

15. Holy Moly... what an experience. I love Patrice, and I bet it's great to hear Alex on kit. I heard him back in the Weather Report days, and IMO his kit playing is even more impressive than his percussion. Bona, and Bromberg... and Herbie, and Patrice, and Alex... man... lucky you!

16. They will be in Detroit at the Jazz Fest next weekend!

17. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Awesome!