Brony Bassists Club

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bassofthe, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Woofer

Woofer

Sep 24, 2008
    OBX
    In case anyone hasn't seen this yet.

AJ is one of my faves, love that she's the bassist for the group.

2. ferdinandstrat

ferdinandstrat

Oct 7, 2014
    As far as I am concerned they got the lineup wrong.

AJ is on drums, Pinkie on lead vocals and Fluttershy on bass and back up vocals.

Hell, I had too many 'head-canon' MLP bands in my mind based off of real bands. Like a QOSTA band called Breeds of the Herd Age.

But that's just my opinion no need to go spread it around.

3. Shannon

Shannon

Sep 17, 2016
    in back.
    20d46197538e6d59520437ef6991338b--my-lil-pony-bass.jpg

Woofer and geeza like this.
  4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Here we go.
    Should be fun with some new faces in the TBOT crowd this go around.

-Mike

5. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Oh no you DIN bump this thread!

6. Shannon

Shannon

Sep 17, 2016
    in back.
    Bump it?

7. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan.

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    Why not?

Shannon likes this.
  8. Chicory Blue

Chicory Blue Secretly Queen of the Moon Supporting Member

I feel like MLP:FiM represents part of an extremely positive recent trend in animation that emphasizes quality writing and a wholesome, meaningful intent that we lost for a few dark years in an era of inane Spongebob knockoffs and other aimless fluff.

The show lost a lot of its potential when Faust left the show and some of her ideas where shelved or scrapped, but it remains an important piece of media insofar as it shows relatable, three-dimensional female role models engaging in solving practical problems in a visually and musically exciting fashion. It’s disappointed me on occasion- Equestria Girls was a failed opportunity to show girls of different body types, for example- but I think the show as a whole was something society needed.

Its popularity among men is... unexpected? But I dig it and the message it sends: just because a show depicts a majority of female characters doesn’t mean it’s only for girls- everyone can relate to the characters and learn from them if they want to, regardless of gender. This is a good thing. The uniform character models open themselves up very readily to fan-generated content, and the world itself is very accomodating to creative ventures. It’s an easy world to be part of, and I think that lines up nicely with the core spirit of the show: accepting and enjoying one another’s company.

All this is to say I did enjoy getting swept up in the hype as an adult and being a part of the fandom, though the novelty’s since worn off. The writing is responsible and witty, but the scenarios aren’t really engaging enough to earn my continued attention. I’m still a shameless consumer of cartoons (perpetually enthralled by Adventure Time, Steven Universe, and Star Vs. The Forces of Evil), but MLP’s gotten a little bland to keep up with.

I’m totally a Fluttershy, though.

--^@

9. D M C

D M C Oh good god, this again? Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2015
    North America, Earth
    Such as?!?

10. Chicory Blue

“The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack” and “Chowder,” come to mind. Shows that embrace a sort of cynical absurdity and seek to entertain (often succeeding) but run short on nutritional value, so to speak.

This was in the late oughts, when there were two shows primarily about monkeys doing things that children normally do (“My Gym Partner’s a Monkey” and “Camp Lazlo”) airing around the same time on the same network.

It’s like cartoons just ran out of ideas for a while there.

--^@

11. D M C

Feb 19, 2015
    North America, Earth
    Kewl. So SBSP is the gold standard? Loves me some Squidward.

12. Chicory Blue

Something like it. It’s definitely a profoundly successful and influencial show.

--^@

D M C likes this.
  13. D M C

Feb 19, 2015
    North America, Earth
    Saw a toon on Disney the other day called peanut & pickle or pickle & peanut. I liked it.

Haven’t seen it since.

14. Chicory Blue

I bet. Don’t know the show, but Disney’s had some real hits lately.

--^@

15. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan.

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    They had Wander Over Yonder which had potential. It was developed by Craig McCracken. The writing was uneven but I think a lot of that was because Disney never got behind it. They want cartoons they can easily monetize and the show was more family-ish.

So where is this rant going? I think a lot of the reason MLP:FIM has lost its luster is because Discovery Family is trying to pin it harder to a stereotypical little girls group as opposed to letting it be about empowerment, problem solving, and the other strong female messages that Lauren Faust promoted in season one.

Shannon likes this.
  16. Shannon

Shannon

Sep 17, 2016
    in back.
    So, here's where I show how silly I am.

DSC_0009.JPG

Can I haz next even numbah?

17. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    Discord was a catchy tune. And, no... I still haven't gotten my cutie mark.

18. Shannon

Shannon

Sep 17, 2016
    in back.
    Also, Fluttershy might just to tambourine and backing vocals, but Flutterbat could give AJ a run for her money on bass:

full.jpg

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 24, 2021