Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Brown tortoise shell pickguard?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basss, Mar 8, 2004.

1. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    Where can I find a "brown" tortoise pickguard for a P bass? Most of the ones that I've seen online seem to be more red. Brown is more like the typical color that Sadowsky uses, no? Thats what I'm looking for. It's going on a two tone burst P bass and I think that if its too red it might look funny.

2. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    You might want to give John Greven a call. He's a big name in the high-end acoustic world and makes a faux tortoise shell product called "Tortis". It replicated the feel and texture of real tortoise shell (they use to use it to make guitar picks) and can make a pickguard that should be able to fit the bill for what you're looking for. Check out www.grevenguitars.com. ;)

3. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    Thanks JPJ
    I don't really need anything super special and don't want to spend a ton of cash for a custom pickguard. I just need a plain old p bass pickguard in brown tortoise.

4. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    Yes! thats what I'm looking for except- maybe not quite so expensive :meh: Thanks

5. If it's for a Fender, you can try a local Fender dealership. P's aren't too big of an issue, (if I remember right) but Jazz pickguards have changed- I have a bad brown tortoise repro on my Jazz, and I'd like to find a better looking one, but i'd totally have to have it custom made- or drill my 65 Jazz. Not.

Good luck finding something-

the usual parts places
    stewmac
    chandler
    warmoth