Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Browser Wars Heating Up...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MJ5150, Feb 17, 2005.

1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Maybe I should have not started this after what happened in the last browser thread.....

I heard today that MS is going to release IE7 this summer, instead of waiting until 2006 for Longhorn to come out. Why? Well, to address the security concerns that are in IE6. The same security concerns the Opera/FF folks have already patched and closed.

I also read that Google is preparing to release their own browser based on Firefox. No timeframe was given on this in the article I read.

That's all I got......let the nerd battles begin. :)

-Mike

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    cool
    :)

bump

3. I heard that they were just releasing the Beta of IE7 this summer.

4. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Firefox 1.1 should be out by the time IE7 comes out addressing problems found in 1.0. IE has no plans for tabbed browsing so I'm not even going to give it a chance.

5. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    It's funny how people who love all different kinds of basses become almost religious in their attack/defense of computer software or hardware platforms. :)

That's all I had to say. :)

6. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Firefox needs to make some sort of hotkey for switching between tabs, if they don't have one already, I don't know about one...

7. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    You have too man, computers CAN BE A BITCH!

8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Since MS announced a while ago there will be no more versions of IE for Mac, I'm totally underwhelmed.

Not too excited about Latehorn, I mean Longhorn, either.

9. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Umm, that would be CTRL+TAB. :p

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    What??? Problems in FF? I just got getting bum rushed by the FF posse here at TB about how awesome and trouble free their mighty FF is. Shhh....don't tell them, it may ruin their world.

-Mike

11. You know what sucks? For a while, Firefox was the browser of choice if you wanted to keep your computer free of spyware and popups. Now that it's caught on and become popular, I'm starting to see more and more spyware written to go after Firefox users. I guess it was inevitable :mad:

12. Software is a crazy thing. If your TV required as many updates and patches as your software, you'd probably spend a lot less time watching it.

13. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    My Comcast DVR uses software written by MS. I never saw a cable box crash until I got this one last month. By crash I mean the picture freezes on a certain frame and doesn't update until I switch to a different channel then switch back to the original channel I was watching. Not a big deal I suppose but I still find it amusing. :)

14. lol. Not surprising really. Unfortunately, I think this sorta thing will become more common.

15. Funny, for us linux folks there has never really been a question. It's been mozilla engine forever. Sure, there were other browsers, lynx, w3m, mosaic, opera, konqueror, but mozilla, and now firefox is the only serious option imho. I've heard people mention about how good opera is, and i'm inclined to agree, but I can download and compile the source for firefox for my platform without paying for it. Anyways , welcome to the unix neck of the woods, it's nice having choices isn't it. :)

16. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Mac users have virtually no pop up, virus, spyware or other issues.

17. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Somehow my aunt got a Spyware for Firefox (search bar stealer) without even having Firefox. Also coders are getting around the pop-up blocker that Firefox has so they are addressing both in 1.1

I'll be back to no pop-ups very soon!

18. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    It's a never ending battle. Now that the Firefox "secret" is out, it will be getting patched as often as IE does. Sorry guys.....you should have kept your mouth's shut about your great browser.

-Mike