Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Buckeye burl

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by boofis, Aug 10, 2004.

1. Hey
    What type of tone does Buckeye burl give?!? And why is it that Fodera seem to like it so much :D :p
    Thanks
    Troy

2. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

3. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Well usually the wood is quite spongy so most tops that use it that I have seen are really thin...only for looks. My personal favorite buckeye top I have seen is the Garrison bass I used to own. There is a picture below. I am guessing Fodera likes it because the right piece can be quite beautiful and customers will buy it accordingly.

[​IMG]

4. LizzyD

LizzyD Chocoholic

Oct 15, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Sadowsky Artist
    I hope no one hates me for saying this, but I think from a distance a buckeye burl top kind of makes it look like somebody barfed on the bass. But up close they are stunningly beautiful. :bag:

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    My 8-month old once made a stinky that looked frighteningly similar to the buckeye top on my Elrick. I still love it though, and I agree that it's way too spongy/porous to lend much tone to a bass.

6. :p :D

LOL

that is too funny!

7. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    Raw buckeye burl feels like balsa wood, and weighs about the same too... I don't think it could be even classed as a tone wood (maybe y'all feel differently). It's getting a bit overused these days I think...

8. Ok, fair enough. Thanks for everyones help :D
    Thanks
    Troy

9. can you say.. new sig? :D :D

10. Yeah, I'd agree w/ the tone wood comment. They have to use a copious amount of filler to cover the holes and crevasses so I would gather you're getting a fair amount of the 'tone' of the filler.
    As for looks, I remember first seeing it...I think it was an early model Fodera. I thought...after a gasp..."I've GOT to have it." Then I remembered that most of the pompous asses that hire me for THEIR gigs would frown on such a striking instrument. Probably a smart move...cause now, I'd have to agree on the last point. It's becoming a bit overused. I will have to say that Sadowsky was an interesting piece, mainly because it just seemed so out-of-character for a Sadowsky.

11. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

That is very nice Jared :bassist:

12. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I have to disagree on this point. I think all luthiers should be reqired to use buckey burl exlusively on their basses. I've rarely seen one that didn't make me reach for my wallet (only to open it and find three singles and some pocket lint...)

BTW, I know burl wood typically comes from the underground part of the trunk, branches and other tree anomalies, but has anyone ever seen any examples of non-burl buckey?

13. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Oh my. I do hope you're joking. If not I don't even know what to say.

14. LajoieT

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Exageration or joke... either way my tounge was firmly in my cheek while typing. Not joking about rarely seeing a Buckey Burl I didn't like, but I'd hate to not see any of the other fantastic wood the finer builders are using these days...

15. Jon Shuker produces some of the best

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Buckeye as already metioned is very spongy and also full of holes that usally have to be filled ...you couldnt make a bass out of it unless u had a huge chunk which is inpossible as it comes from the inside of the bark layer on a tree not from a trunk...

Its also one of the lightest woods used ...

Very cool tho.... Jon also has a very nice Canoe Tree Burr which looks similar to buckeye but with more outragous figuring...

16. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    The top on my fretless is made from the trunk of the tree that produces buckeye burl. According to Larry at Gallery Hardwoods, it's really rare to find pieces of the trunk that are usable and have a nice figure. This is mine:
    [​IMG]

For bigger and higher-quality pics, go here.
    I've also seen a Benavente made with this type of buckeye.

17. LajoieT

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    NICE Hill Bass!!! The Elrick's pretty sweet too!!! Thanks, Always wondered what that would look like, I guess it makes sense that it would be dark...

18. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    Carey Nordstrand has some buckeye that came from the trunk of a tree in Washington state. I found it a couple of years ago, and he still has some pieces left. Check out his gallery page to see some basses he's made with it...my singlecut fretless 4, as well as a bass that Jeff Rader owns with a drop-dead gorgeous piece of buckeye on the back!

19. I absolutely love this buckeye beauty ............ lucky really because my wife bought it for me !!

20. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    Zenbass, is that a wenge neck with maple laminates? Looks darker but probably from the pic, great look!