1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Budget 4x12 bass cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Zach1457, Sep 6, 2020.

1. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Oct 16, 2012
    Square 412s are awesome for stoner metal, if you can find ones that are actually built for bass.

I use the Marshall VBC 412 which is basically the same model of Lemmy cab mentioned earlier but rear loaded instead of front loaded, and much easier to find (though still surprisingly hard).

I have used this cab (albeit briefly) with an SVT-CL with all knobs dimed and it did not fart out.

All of which is to say if you do find a cheap used square arranged 412 in your search, don't let the geometry discourage you, as long as it was designed with bass in mind it'll serve you fine.

2. lizardking837

lizardking837

Jan 28, 2009
    My ears started ringing from reading that.....

Bill Whitehurst likes this.
  3. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    Exactly. OP lets hope you all wear earplugs.

4. Tim Skaggs

Tim Skaggs

Sep 28, 2002
    Two 212s is the way to go.

5. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    Old boogie 410? Word

6. Adienn7

Adienn7

Jan 26, 2007
    Fart in a mic and you get stoner bass.. Lol.. Jk.. Got to a speaker site.. Like a US speakers.. And get a schematic.. And speakers.. Go to cabinet. Maker give him the specs.. And see what it cost..

7. Adienn7

Adienn7

Jan 26, 2007
    Pm'd you..

8. Peavey TVX 412. It’s an amazing cab and I own a bunch of high end cabs. If you keep your eyes open you can find them for a good deal. I got mine for 150 off Facebook.

wave rider, Thundar and AudioTaper like this.
  9. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    Wonder if there is a SWR 12-pack laying around for a good price?

JohnnyChatter likes this.
  10. I missed out on the SWR 4x12 a year or so ago and have been kicking myself ever since...

wave rider likes this.
  11. SWR made a 412 that is awesome. Also GK make a 412 that I hear great things about but i have no person experience with. I personally like ported cabs for doom/stoner rock but that may be just a preference. They are less directional and fill the room better.

Doufuss likes this.
  12. CTBassGuy

CTBassGuy

Feb 3, 2018
    Danbury, CT
    I'll chime in as I have both an upgraded 4x12 and an 810.

I upgraded an Ampeg V4 4x12 with Eminence Basslite s2012s for about $800 total, but I bought a used Ampeg 810 flatback for $325. The V4 is my favorite sounding cab: round, fat and warm (NCD!! I stood on the shoulders of giants and found my sound (Ampeg V4 4x12)). However, nothing beats the 810 for volume, punch and presence.

I've played both in a Classic Rock band in gigs, and for this use I think the 810 wins. It was stupid loud if I wasn't careful with my V4B. (Finally played my Fridge live; I get it)

For transport, though, the V4 is great @ only 65 lbs with the neo speakers in it. I can dead lift and carry it for a pretty good distance (and I'm in my late 40s...)

If you really want the 4x12, go for it; I love mine. The Ampeg V4, or a Vintage Vox 4x12 seem to be good candidates for speaker replacements with Basslite or Deltalite speakers, and can likely be done for under the $800 budget. BUT, for what you are looking to do, if you can handle the size and weight for moving, I'd probably go for a used 810 (or 2 at that budget).

IMG_2442small.JPG IMG_2149.JPG

13. BogeyBass

BogeyBass Inactive

Sep 14, 2010
    Couldn't agree more. Basically my go to cab for long long time. SVT810E

And yes perfect also had a pair of V4
    4x12 cabinets and basically loaded it with the ceramic version of the S2012
    Eminence Beta 12a2

SWR did the 4x12 Goliath or 12 stack
    Ampeg did the 4x12 412HE
    Tranyor did a 4x12 TC412
    Mesa did a 4x12 Powerhouse 412
    Marshall did a 4x12 VBC412

All those cabs above are made for bass
    Not guitar.
    The Effciency of a 412 blows away a 410
    SWR was way ahead of there time and everyone cried like babies over a bass 412 cause we use 10" blah blah blah lol.

Fender way way way back when they promoted first solid state. Used a 3 x12
    And the Bassman 100 used a 4x12

Fender SWR seemed to get it early on.

14. AudioTaper

AudioTaper Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2018
    Wow, I didnt know Mesa made a Powerhouse 412! That things massive, 136lbs!
    I always liked the Powerhouse 1000, loves the late 90's Les Laypool rig with two of those and two Mesa 400+

I would still rather have two Subway 212

15. shadven

shadven Twang-tastic Bass Player and Song Writer Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I rock, therefore I am.
    What he said exactly!

16. shadven

shadven Twang-tastic Bass Player and Song Writer Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I rock, therefore I am.
    15’s won’t get muddy. 10’s can handle low tunings.

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 11, 2021