1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Budget 5 String

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by awilkie84, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Ok, so my Spector had a string break the other day mid-set. It wasn't a huge deal, as I wasn't using that string for the rest of the set.

It did get me thinking about having a back-up. I have a P-bass that doesn't get much use, but I'm always uncomfortable with restringing it BEAD, as I lose the G to gain the B.

Another option would be to pick up a backup 5 string.
    I want something that's going to sound similar to my Spector Rebop 5DLX (tone controls rolled all off)
    I'm currently looking at the following basses:

Squier Vintage Modified Jass Bass V - $350 +12% tax
    Peavey Grind 5 NTB - $550 after Tax
    Cort T5 - $360 +12% tax

Any suggestions (either the above or other). The music stores in my area are:

Long & McQuade
    Tom Lee Music (Fender, ESP & others)
    Arbutus Music (Cort & G&L dealer)

I want to get something in Canada, as I don't want to have to pay duty, and I'd like to do it locally, as I don't have a credit card.

2. BucardoBass

BucardoBass

Mar 31, 2010
    Madrid, Spain
    I own a Peavey Grind 6 NTB. It's a great bass for the money right out of the box, and an excellent platform for modifications (I made it active not long ago). The passive electronics are a little weak though.

Additionally, the Ibanez SR 305 might be a good option for you, for quality and price range.

3. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    Don't overlook the Squier Jazz V. It's a very nice budget bass.

4. Aussie Player

Aussie Player

Apr 20, 2011
    Squier Affinity Jazz 5.
    Worth considerably more that the $225 delivered to your door price.
    I junked my MIA Fender Jazz 5 when I compared them side by side.

5. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Can you get Esp ltd and Ibanez basses up there at good prices? If so the Esp ltd B & F series 155dx on up and Ibanez Sr305 on up are worth checking out. They start at right around $350 here in america.

6. I'm not a huge fan of ESP basses. They feel sharp & clunky to me.
    I've thought about the SR305, but I'm not a fan of basswood bodies. The tone just feels lacking, to me.

My guitar player's brother is selling an old Ibanez Roadstar 5 string. I can't find ANY info on this thing anywhere, but it's pretty nice. A bridge similar to an SR, but it looks more like a P-bass mated with a G&L. Nice flame top under an amber burst. Has a J neck pickup and a humbucking bridge pickup that's similar to a MM. The headstock reminds me of an Ibanez RG. He's asking $400, but I'd like to know more about it, first.

7. Looks pretty, but it's a basswood body. I've always found the passive tone of a basswood body to feel hollow & lacking in warmth.

8. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    Check out the Brubaker Brutes, Aggressive slap tones, punchy fingerstyle tones. You won't get lost in the mix that's for certain They come in J/J and J/MM configs, double cut and very soon to be Single Cut.

9. I found a picture similar to the bass my friend's brother has.

Does anyone have any info on it?

[​IMG]

10. .BumeStik.

.BumeStik.

Jul 15, 2012
    Gilbert, AZ
    Looks like an 2005ish Ibanez RD 505 Roadgear. Those were GREAT Basses for the $$$, but have become fairly hard to come by. I have the 4 string version (RD 500) I put up on ebay right now to try and fund another MTD. I am almost regretting putting it up on ebay....:eyebrow:

11. Gabriel51

Gabriel51

Sep 30, 2008
    Texas
    Good luck on getting any of these to sound like your Rebop.
    I have had a couple of Grinds and it is hard to beat them for the money.

12. I'm relatively new to Bass but FWIW IMHO the Yamaha RBX475 is a real pleasure to play and listen to compared to other basses in that price range. Try one and see what you think.

I had my heart set on a Squire J but was converted when I picked up the Yammy in the store. I also compared it against a Warwick Rockbass and a Spector. I ended up with a 4 string, but the 5 string is just as nice.

13. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    When I think of good quality 5ers at bargain prices, my 1st choice will always be an Ibanez sr505 on the used market for $300-$400... Spector Legend 5 can be had for around the same used, and is a good choice for a 35" 5er...

- georgestrings

14. dcalde78

dcalde78

Apr 17, 2012
    Scotland
    You did what?

15. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Was thinking the same thing...

- georgestrings

16. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Squier Vintage Modified Jass Bass V - $350 +12% tax

Bought one of these on sale and was impressed enough to do a full mod (in progress) though out of the box it was great. I could have tuned it up and gone to a gig. No setup needed. I can count on one hand the number of basses I've received like that. And the neck feels great.

Only draw back is they are heavy. Mine is 10lbs on the dot. Ultralight tuners can knock off a half lb. I've heard of some weighing up to 11.5 lbs. Though the two I've played in stores felt about the same to mine. That being said the bass does seem to balance perfectly on a strap.

Oh and the Ibanez RD series pictured above are great basses. I have a RD900 that is the best playing bass I own.

17. Aussie Player

Aussie Player

Apr 20, 2011
    Yes I did.
    Did a comparison between my MIA and Squier Jazz 5's and traded the MIA. I own the Affinity, MIM P/J gutted and fitted with SD + BA2 and an MIA P bass. The MIA Jazz was not as well made or finished as the Affinity and the pups were weaker and grossly inferior in terms of Growl, which I like in a J pup bass.

I have only been playing for 41 years so am still prone to learning a thing or two but I know when I either don't like something or determine it to be inferior in comparison.

I like, I play. Not like, neglect. Simple strategy that works for me.

18. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Whatever works for you, I suppose - I'm having a hard time believing this, though:

"The MIA Jazz was not as well made or finished as the Affinity"

- georgestrings

19. Aussie Player

Aussie Player

Apr 20, 2011
    Most noticeable in the neck join and neck finish.
    The affinity neck was smoother but I measured the necks and dimensions were identical. MIA had better hardware and nut but quieter pups and it was a no contest with the Affinity killing the MIA in Growl.

I have had the Affinity about 18 months now, 3 sets if strings and no neck adjustments needed, very stable and action was lowered on the first set up.

The Affinity was a 2011 model I bought about March so was very fresh off the line. The MIA was a 2005 model, silver finish with rosewood fingerboard and 4 over 1 headstock.

I traded the MIA a few days after the comparison which included playing the 2 consecutively over a period of days ans went back to Gibson and Alembic where I was happier.

Now have a couple of P's and the. Affinity Jazz 5.