1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Budget Amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by baron665, Oct 7, 2010.

1. baron665

baron665

Apr 9, 2010
    Michigan
    Okay. Almost everyone here raves about SX for being one of, if not the, best budget bass guitars you can buy (for under $200). So I was wondering, what would be the Amp equivalent to an SX? Almost everyone trashes Behringer. Peavey gets trashed. The GK Backlines gets trashed. Carvin even gets trashed (the amps, not basses/guitars). Would Hartke be that equivalent? Someone tell me, please.

I guess Avatar might be the cab equivalent. Or am I wrong?

2. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Yes...hartke would be a good choice for a good affordable bass head. the hartke lh500 would be an awesome amp to own if you like hybrid bass heads that has simple controls.

3. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    +1 fpr the Hartke amps and I'll throw in the Fender bass combo's. $200 should get you something of quality in the used amp div.

4. blastjv

blastjv

Jan 8, 2010
    Philly Area
    Some VERY general opinons:

I actually really like Carvin amps, their cabs I didn't like so much.

I think Hartke is a good way to go for amps, again, not always for cabs so much...

Peavey's can be awesome or crap, there are too many different models to make general statements about Peavey.

For newer stuff, the Acoustic stuff is pretty great and cheap!

All depends what you're looking for re: power level, size, etc...

Regardless, Craigslist is your friend!!!

-John

5. PSPookie

PSPookie Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    The GK Backline 600 is actually quite nice for the money. It's the Backline cabs that are crap.

Peavey makes solid gear. The tone is not to the liking of some, but that's subjective.

6. I just picked up a White Face Peavey Firebass and 2X15 for roughly $300 and couldn't be happier. It is extremely versatile and can get good and crunchy if you crank the gain. It is a powerful MOTHER TRUCKER!

7. baron665

baron665

Apr 9, 2010
    Michigan
    I know about Craigslist. I found some stuff on there that was a great deal. But I'm talking about brand new amps/cabs. And the under $200 was meant for SX being the better choice in that price range. I think of a budget amp being about $500, give or take, for either a relatively large sized combo, or a half stack of some kind. Hartke has a good reputation, I've even seen Larry as a first post to a topic on one of his products. If I were to buy new, I would buy either a Hartke or GK Backline head, and get some used cab. Maybe Acoustic, I forgot to mention them. I wouldn't pass on Peavey though. I had an older TNT150, and that thing was louder than an Ampeg (B2 I believe?) hooked up to a 4x10" and 15".

8. Used Peavey Firebass 700.

Ox.

9. jp58

jp58

Dec 9, 2009
    Tennessee
    Acoustic stuff is phenomenal for its price.

10. phatbassplayer

phatbassplayer

Apr 7, 2009
    Illinois
    Just picked up a Kustom KB200H - 200 watt bass head, has classic growl tones and hi-fi new tones as well.. Sounds tip top on passive basses, gets really growly on active basses.. I'm running through an old peavey sub cab with 2 - 15" Eminence commonwealth 15's.. Serious punch, fat low end and singing highs..after running it at rehearsal for 3 hours.. cool to the touch, large fan in the back not a small laptop fan like some amps, but a pretty large fan that sits just about 3/16" of an inch from the large heat sink of the amp.. can't go wrong for $249.00