1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Budget P basses with a jazz neck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jessicabass, Jun 4, 2014.

1. jessicabass

jessicabass

Dec 22, 2009
    ohio
    Was wondering if there was any makes of p basses with jazz necks on the cheap side used or new?
    Something in the <$300 range.

2. Belgand

Belgand

Aug 25, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    The Ibanez GSR200 is a good option. It's a P/J rather than a straight P and the neck, while very slim, still has a slightly larger radius than a J (305mm vs. 241 mm on the J, about 2.5"). They sound good for the money and are very cheap. New they're $200 and I bought one used with a practice amp, gig bag, strap, and cable for $100 a few years back. In general they're widely available used for $100-150.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  3. The older Squier Standard P/J is a Jazz neck (1.5 nut) as is the Eva Gardner P Bass, look for a used one of either.

macmanlou and Malak the Mad like this.
  4. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  5. Just build a parts bass. Lots of options on eBay.

6. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    If you can find one, how about a Fender JP-90. They usually sell for about $300 used. MIA Fender with slim jazz bass neck, not to mention super light too. P/J pickups and funky looking pickguard. These sound better than any MIM Fenders out there.
    Okay, that might be too hard to find. :)

There are also Peavey Milestone basses.
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass...0@ADL4MF-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^47838566427

This Peavey Zodiac might be hard to find, but I've seen them used http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-...-4-String-Electric-Bass-110086091-i3774347.gc

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
    coughiefiend likes this.
  7. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Sorry to say, but no, the Affinity PJ's have a Precision-sized neck. I was very excited when they were announced, until I saw the neck dimensions. (not my preference)

+1 to that!

Although they've been discontinued for a handful of years, the Squier Standard P-Bass Special can still be found for a price well within your budget. Check out Guitar Center's used database, eBay or Craigslist.

God's Favorite Bass likes this.
  8. macmanlou

macmanlou Don't push it. Just let it fall. Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Washington, DC Area
    The Squier VM Jaguars have slim necks and several of them are P/Js, if you don't mind the body shape (they're a bit neck-heavy). Dirt cheap and plentiful.

The Eva Gardner is $300. It's a fairly new model, so it may be hard to find used. Worth trying out - to see if you really like the slim neck on a conventional Precision body and PU.

If that's you and your Fender P Bass in your avatar, you could easily get a Jazz neck for it.

9. jessicabass

jessicabass

Dec 22, 2009
    ohio
    Thank you all for the suggestions :)

10. jessicabass

jessicabass

Dec 22, 2009
    ohio
    Love the look of the GSR200M. I like the maple.
    Do you own one or have played one?
    It says 41mm nut, i think that is 1 5/8 though

11. :thumbsup: I won't part with mine...right?:thumbsup:
    goldmember2.

12. jessicabass

jessicabass

Dec 22, 2009
    ohio
    Wow! No offense but that is one ugly pickguard lol

DannyBob likes this.
  13. again...right?:thumbsup: LOL I have a terrible tort/pearl fetish...*shrug*

14. Belgand

Belgand

Aug 25, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    You're totally right. I have no idea what I was thinking there. Removed.

Well, the current MIA Jazz neck is listed on Fender's site as being 38.1 mm at the nut, so not quite, but close; 1.61 inches vs the Jazz's 1.5 inches.

I own and older (2002), passive model and have played it for many years as my primary bass. It's very light (7.4 lbs according to my bathroom scale right now) and I used to use it with a cheap 2" guitar strap without any strain. The neck is fast and easy to play although I found that when I've played them in the shop I prefer a proper Jazz neck even more, although that might just come down to even the MIM Jazz being a nicer instrument. Frets are well-dressed on my model. The electronics are pretty crappy though and I always had trouble getting high pitched hum from mine that I wouldn't get with other instruments and that persisted with different amps at other locations. If I rolled off the tone knob or the bridge pick-up (J-style) it went away. The pots also tended to have a low range; if you tried to go too low with the volume it would just sort of turn off rather than go lower. Sustain wasn't incredible, but that's to be expected with a light instrument that doesn't have the best-fit neck. It always had a sound and playability that was acceptable, but I felt it might be a good bit better with a nicer setup except it wasn't really worth the cost.

I just replaced it this week with a G&L L2000, but even though that's a lot nicer I'm not getting rid of the Ibanez. It's clearly a cheap bass, but it plays better than I would expect for the very low price. I'm already missing how slim it was.

One thing is that even with the P pickup at the bridge it will not sound entirely like a P bass. Or, at least, mine didn't. If I were to go into the shop and play even an MIM P the tone is deeper with more of the characteristic growl. Try out a bunch of these suggestions before making a decision. They're all pretty easy to find and GC caters heavily to entry-level instruments and Fenders.

15. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The Peavey Fury has a neck like a Peavey Foundation which is even thinner than a Jazz.

16. jessicabass

jessicabass

Dec 22, 2009
    ohio
    Totally forgot about the peavey fury/foundation.
    Never gave much thought to the foundation thinking it would sound like a jazz bass.

17. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The Foundation does sound like a Jazz unless it is a Foundation S, which is a P/J model. The Fury is a P-bass, but it has the traditional super slim Peavey neck.

18. cv115505

cv115505 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Pittsburgh
    MJC Ironworks
    P Bass w/ Jazz neck... I really think the late 80s Peavey stuff already mentioned will be your best option hands down in that price range. You also may be able to score a G&L SB1/SB2 in the $300 neighborhood if you do enough digging. If you find a used Tribute Series SB2, it'd likely be in your range. You could find a USA SB series for that amount as well, though it would likely have some "character."

19. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

Yep- Peavey Fury - very slim fast neck and ballsy sound. Also the Squier P-Bass special P/J - VERY good good value for $100-150 used.