1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bugera VS Hartke

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Triclops, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Bugera

27.0%
  2. Hartke

76.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    who rules the alumicone market?

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Too bad there isn't a choice for "harsh sounding doo doo no matter what name you put on it".

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Never tried bugera, but hartke seems more prevalent. I happen to like them. I actually play a GK with a hartke 410, and it's not harsh at all.

4. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    I thought the aluminum cone Bugera was Behringer's copy of the Hartke speaker? If something rules the market, Behringer is sure to copy it. :bag:

5. Bugera is Berhinger's in-house brand, right? I can't find a separate website for them.

--argh beat to the punch--

6. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Don't like either.

7. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    Stu Hamm uses Hartke and they're the ones who got the whole aluminum cone thing started, and besides, Bugera sounds too much like beluga to me!

8. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    fresh from namm:beluga speakers!

9. copy vs. original?? :rollno:

Hartke

10. My "Bugera" speakers in my old Behringer cab fractured all around the outside and seperated from the cones after oh, 2 band practices? Just as well though because it sounded harsh and tinny for a bass cab. Behringer & Bugera = cheap, unreliable, nasty sounding gear.

I quite like the sound of the Hartke cabs for funk work, but again they sound a bit clinical compared to paper cones.

11. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Don't like either one. But I guess Hartke since they were the original.

12. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Neither,

Alumabass Bullfrog Cabs.

Sounds weird, but beats either out in my book.

[​IMG]

13. leeothelyon

leeothelyon

Apr 4, 2006
    Hartke ALI CONES
    A nice percussive sound with lots of depth and warmth as well

14. RudeMood

RudeMood

Nov 7, 2004
    Austin, TX

I had a similar rig for a while, but had trouble with the GK head; it lost it's mind and the volume would fluctuate on its own... never figured it out even after sending it back to GK.
    The Hartke/GK sound was good though.

15. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    UK
    yup, I loved my Hartke 4.5Xls .. and they sound awesome with a dirty great SVT plugged into em too!!!

16. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    I've only had the chance to play through the Bugera's in a behringer set up so I cannot comment on the Hartke's, but I imagine they are equally as crappy and have no warmth.

17. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Of course that's the ONLY way you can find Bugera speakers, since the company doesn't exist. Its just a name made-up by Behringer for its own speakers. Behringer = experts in duping the market . . . in so many ways.

18. I DI out of my SVT-3 and mic my 410XL and blend at the board. I can tell you there is nothing harsh about my tone at all at the front of house. Besides, the brightness of the Hartke makes for an excellent backline that will cut through anything as a stage monitor.

I've used several different higher-end cabs in the past, and as long as I continue to blend with a DI (to get a good, solid low end), I will never choose another cab.

Of course, Hartke's electronics suck (IMO), but that's a different story.

19. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    took the words right out of my mouth... :smug:

20. edbass

edbass

Nov 8, 2004
    I like the Hartke XL's. They do have a distinctive sound, but not really "harsh", more like "bright and clean". If they are harsh, it may be that you have to EQ differently than with paper cones, or you're using a less than stellar amp.
    I'm especially fond of the way they add a percussive brightness to an all tube amp rig.