1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Building a bassman style cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by troyus, Mar 19, 2009.

1. troyus

troyus

Apr 9, 2008
    San Diego, CA.
    I have an avatar 2x12 guitar cab I am turning into a bassman style cab... putting in a baffle and closed back.... any suggestions on what 12" speakers to go with? Non neo, don't dig the neo magnets.

I still would like the option of using it for guitar with my V4 and as an extension.... so it's going to be kind of a do all cab, ala bassman style.

2. If it is a guitar cabinet it most likely is too small to work well for bass.

Paul

3. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

+100

4. troyus

troyus

Apr 9, 2008
    San Diego, CA.
    Well.. do you guys have any recommendations for empty bassman style cab manufacturers, etc?

Guess I will sell the Avatar and replace with one of those if possible...

5. why though? there are lots of cab designs out there that are much better for bass.

6. troyus

troyus

Apr 9, 2008
    San Diego, CA.
    It's because I already have a great bass cab, and would like something that will work for both guitar and bass as my backup.

7. The 2x12 Bassman cabinet was the worst bass cabinet that I ever had the misfortune to own. The package LOOKED great but really sucked as a bass amp! Don't waste your time and money.

Paul

8. Bass cabs and guitar cabs are two different animals. I can't recall any good sounding, dual use cab. As BassmanPaul said, the old Bassman 2x12 was only mediocre by '60's standards, and awful by today's standards. I was there!!

On a side note; Back in the seventies, I used to hang with the Allman Bros., when they came close. I remember being behind their backline, and the Marshall 4x12 cabs were modified with 2x12s being closed back, and 2x12s open. That was one of the factors (I guess) for the great guitar sound.