Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Building an EUB

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by thebeatcatcher, May 1, 2005.

1. I am planning an EUB project this summer and I am thinking about the scale, maybe shorter: 1/2, 1/4, or EB string length. Most of the info I find is on 3/4 size EUB's. Any opinions?

Also, on some models people have what I would call string-thru bodies, so how much of the string can you "wrap around" the bottom of the body before you run into tuning/tension problems?

Has anyone had experience with using a cello neck on an EUB?

Thanks in advance.

2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Shorter scale EUBs just don't seem to have "it", but I have to say that I've got a 34" scale EUB project on the back burner, just to see if I can pull it off.

The string wraparound is typically used to take up the length of string that normally would go from bridge to tailpiece- at least that's why I did that on my original project EUB with a full 3/4 scale. If you want to build a shorter scale EUB, I would suggest using 1/2 or 1/4 size URB strings, and design your bass accordingly.

As far as cello necks go, any I've seen are going to be too narrow for URB strings IMHO.

3. mikjans

mikjans

Dec 17, 2003
    Uppsala, Sweden
    I´ve had a custom built 34" scale EUB for a couple of months now, and I´m perfectly happy. An Underwood pickup and a set of black nylon Rotosounds give a fairly convincing pizz sound.
    Check it out here: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166802

Mikael

4. I like the looks of it, also better late than never.

I think I have decided to go ahead with a 3/4 scale bass.

BTW are you using a preamp with your underwood?

5. mikjans

mikjans

Dec 17, 2003
    Uppsala, Sweden
    I use an old Sadowsky preamp between the Underwood and my G-K MB-200 amp.

6. Has anyone experimented with a DIY preamp?

Any links to circuit schematics out there?

7. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada