1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

building an EUB

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by heavyfunkmachin, Aug 27, 2007.

1. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

Jan 21, 2005
    hi all, im DETERMINED to build my self an EUB. it´s my first big building proyect and im aware that it might not end being my DREAM EUB, but i want to try my best.

im buiulding it with my father, old wood worker, and i know that research is a big issue; and im trying hard, but i thought you guys could give me a hand, because i supose some of you have been down this road and can save me a worry or two...

so, any wise words? my biggest concern right know its gettin plans or blueprints or something to start working with. and the woods choice. im thinking in orange three wood... its hard and dense... what do you think? i was thinking about coping the exact same design as for a clasical double bass, but without any "resonant box" (im spanish, i dont know how to translate it... you know, without anything but the wood under the strings... just a "stick")

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, give me a hand. :help:

thanks

2. ricobasso

ricobasso

Jan 18, 2007
    UK, South East
    I am coming towards the end of building my first EUB. I made it the same as my regular 3/4 double bass except 1/3 the width and 2/3 the depth. The string length is 41". I made it with a resonant hollow box because I have tried a number of solid stick basses in the shops and I did not like the feel or sound of them. Too much like a bass guitar and I already have plenty of those :D .

I did not have any plans. I bought a neck, fingerboard and some other parts from Bob Gollihur and made the rest up as I went along. What do you want to know?

3. Karma-lite

Karma-lite

Sep 15, 2007
    The first question is.....do you want totally electric or partially ie all electric will always sound fretless BG-ish, even if you use piezo bridge pu's, they have a similar sound to an elastic band held on your ear, if you want semi electric it will be a compramise because of the physics.

There could be a way around it but if you look at things like bass balalikas or chinese bass, whatever those chinese instruments are called they all have one thing in common....they're huge.

The solution is probably staring us in the face but experimenting and building is the best part, Good luck
    orange wood sounds interesting.

4. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    Cape of New Jersey
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music (retired)
    EUBs differ radically, I would urge LOTS of research. Decide first what sort of sound and feel you want, whether you want something as close to an acoustic bass or want a fretless bass guitar sound.

Read past messages in this and other EUB forums to get references on the nature of the sounds from differently constructed basses.

Visit web sites of makers, you'll find a list in my Double Bass Links Page at http://www.gollihur.com/kkbass/basslink.html as well as links to project basses other people have made.

My own experience building an EUB is at http://www.eclecticbass.com/eurb.html. Learn from my mistakes ;)

Get hold of an acoustic bass to measure and explore, learn as much as you can by experiencing it.

I would recommend making a full size plan on paper before even ordering the wood. Also consider the nature of the bridge, its size, etc., so you can make educated choices of pickups.

Good luck with your project!

5. Biarnel

Biarnel

Sep 17, 2007
    Italy
    Luthier of Biarnel Liuteria, Italy
    If you want, I'm here to help.
    I'm italian, so please excuse my bad english, but if someone needs tips, tricks, miscellaneous advice, just ask.
    I build EUBs in my little shop in italy, as well as guitars, basses..

I'm new here and I really like this place, so I think I will thank the other users answering their technical questions about eubs ;)