1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

bumping classifieds ?

Discussion in 'Forum Usage Help' started by AdamR, Jan 3, 2012.

1. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    Whats the rule with bumping classifieds ? I see a memeber who keeps bumping his add up only minutes after someone else had post on the thread.
    To me if someone comments on your thread that should count as your bump for the day.

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    once per day. other posts should really only be to add information to the ad

3. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    i also thought you were supposed to delete your previous bump. looking through pages of bumps is annoying!
    :help:

4. If you read the rules, it(deleting old *bumps*)is encouraged.
    Agreed on *annoying*

5. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    Yeah I asked my local council to take a look at my street because of that..... :D

6. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yes, that true. IF you see people bumping (or effectively bumping by adding some fluff message like 'pm returned!') use the red report post icon and a classifieds mod will take care of it. Same goes for people not deleting their prior bumps.

7. rodneyat

rodneyat Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    I actually disagree with this...when people reply with a "pm returned" it notifies the person who sent the PM that you replied. Not all people have TB setup to notify them when they receive a PM. So, when you are subscribed to a thread. You are notified when someone replies to it.

But, back to the original discussion...a page full or "bumps" is REALLY annoying. Sellers don't get the fact that people don't want to search through 10 bumps to see your add. It also makes you look desperate if you see tons of bumps. Sales 101 people! :)

8. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The problem is that people DO frequently abuse it to get additional bumps and so posts that don't add relevant information are not allowed. "Still available!" and "pm's returned!" aren't allowed unless they are the only post by seller in thread within 24 hour period. "Now listening to trade offers" when thread was previously for sale only IS allowed.

9. rodneyat

rodneyat Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    I guess we will have to agree to disagree here. :) Yes, "still available" is really nothing more than a bump. But, IMO, "pm returned" is more than a bump. But that's just my 2 cents. You are right in saying that it is definitely abused and I see some crazy classifieds.