Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

burns bison basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kearney, Jul 7, 2005.

1. kearney

kearney

Jul 5, 2004
  2. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Doesn't even compare to a standard jazz let alone a deluxe.

-Eric.

3. "Theres a fire on the moon..."

~Ryan

4. hahaha and they aren't the most attractive looking basses either....not quite sure who'd actually want one...apart from firewood

5. I happen to think that they look pretty cool. I like uniqueness in design... There's too many "drones" or copies of something else out there these days. Not that that's a bad thing (Considering a Cort "P") but it's nice to see a company brake from the mold every once and awhile.

~Ryan

6. I'd have to strongly disagree on all points. They play nice, look cool as hell, and sound really neat.

7. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Agreed. I have the similar Marquee and think it's a good bass.

8. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'll add to this thread more than a year later.....

I friend of mine just got a Bison. I stopped at his house last night on the way to practice and played it. I was impressed with the build quality, set-up, playability and all of the passive tones available through the different switches. For $300.00 I think he got a helluva cool, neo-retro looking bass to compliment his Ric 4003 (that I sold him :crying: ).

They definitely aren't for everyone but they have a "something special" I found appealing in a funky sort of way.

9. I have the one on the left in this photo.
    The neck is really LOOOOONG.
    The body is really HUUUUGE.
    It weighs a ton so I use it sparingly.
    The variation in sound available is unbelievable. The most versatile bass I own.

It sounds more like a Ric than my Rics do.
    Very cool and retro.

[​IMG] ;)

10. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    if they made a 5 string version....i'd most definitely own one.

11. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Yeah, I tried one in a store, and was very impressed with the tones it had; I've been on the lookout for a lefty for about a year now.

12. Espidog

Espidog

May 19, 2006
    UK
    Didja know that the Bison was originally designed for Jet Harris of The Shadows (and other classic Burns guitars were designed for Hank Marvin & Tony Meehan)? No, hang on, that might have been the Barracuda I'm thinking of. I'm pretty sure Jet H had a Bison, though.

I love Burns basses - probably because I like Basses with character and the chutzpah to be different. Wish I could afford one. $300 was a fantastic price for a Bison. If there's one going for $200 on eBay, grab it - and give it to me!

"Sounds more like a Ric than my Rics do" - that'll be the fabled "Wild Dog" setting, I guess!