Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by mchildree, Nov 26, 2003.

1. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
  2. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I was just going to ask about this. I guess it wouldn't be too bad if the guy hadn't screwed it into the top. So does this kill the bass completely as far as collectability?
  3. I love how he casually states that he put a metal bridge on it and later is proud to inform us that it has not be refinished.
  4. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Actually he says he put on a "Medal" bridge. Duh
  5. Mike Goodbar

Mike Goodbar Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Charlotte, NC

Boy, I can see why he would want to post a close-up pic of this scroll. A real selling point.

Jeff, try not to be too jealous.
  6. mchildree

Sep 4, 2000
    Here's the "medal" bridge:

7. I hate to disappoint you guys, but these bridges do NOT screw onto the top. The screws are for the adjustable feet (pads)on it. These bridges go back to about 1950 and (fortunately) their popularity faded pretty quickly. There was another metal bridge like this one with three feet too. Probably the only damage will be 3 or 4 little circles where it will have damaged the varnish.
  8. mchildree

Sep 4, 2000
    Ohhhhh....my apologies to the guy with the King!
  9. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    That "thing" looks like something you'd find under the bed of the kid next door in Toy Story. Maybe later he'll stuff it with M80s and put it out of its misery.
  10. Well it's nice to know that the top isn't destroyed in this process. It does look like it has scratched the hell out of it though.
  11. Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Yeah, I've seen those. According to what I've been told, it was the brain child of the guy who used to own Inter-City Violins in Oklahoma City.

It would make sense in light of this guys utter disregard for basses. My alma mater had a really nice Bohemian that Robertson's fixed up. Inter-City would take basses that had scratches and cover them with what looked like brown house paint, especially on the back. Almost all of the basses in the OKC Public School system have this.

12. tsolo

Aug 24, 2002
    Ft. Worth
    I've inquired here (at talkbass) about these bridges before. I've seen several of them at bluegrass festivals, believe it or not. People use them because they bang their basses around alot and they don't have to worry about knocking the bridge over. Particularly groups that haul their equipment in small trailers. It's either these or start using a slab. They are adjustable, obviously. I can't tell much difference in the tone from an ordinary bridge - though there is some.
  13. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Funny, when I was in high school in Connecticut about 15 years ago there were two school basses: a barely-playable Juzek with a poorly repaired neck break and no soundpost, and a King Mortone with a 3-point black metal bridge.

The King was definitely better sounding, even with a frayed set of old gut strings, and much easier to play. It got surprisingly loud for a plywood and I often wondered what it would have sounded like with a good wooden bridge and a proper setup.
  14. I know Branstetter has heard about Framus basses...Any one else? They came out with these bridges in the 50s.
    Believe it or don't, I saw a picture of Mingus playing a Framus with one of these mothers on it. I'm sure he was just sitting in or something, so don't panic!
    And Jeff, god damn it, why couldn't you get some of that epoxy drip along the seams of your lions head? Some people just don't care.
  15. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I once saw Andre Segovia play for two hours and he didn't tune once. Some people just don't care.
  16. In the late '70's a friend of mine had a Framus bass. Plywood, gamba corners, strangest thing was it had no scroll. Above the pegbox it turned forward and flared to a flat rectangular pad, on the same plane as the top. Odd looking...
  17. It's probably the same "scroll" they used on the Framus Triumph upright electric bass in the 1950's. As I recall, the flat rectangular pad had the Framus coat of arms on it.
  18. mchildree

Sep 4, 2000
  19. mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Rob Wilson has one sort of like that in the back of his shop. It has the four-point base, but it's curved in a weird way. Very odd indeed.