Buy Ampeg SVT Classic 300w head??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mike Carter, Oct 13, 2021 at 3:42 AM.

1. JSandbloom

JSandbloom Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2004
    Redding, Ca
    Grace Guitars USA
    If you’re running through a PA, the SVT “sound” won’t be heard by the crowd unless you put a mic on the cab. The DI is so so and doesn’t really give the house a good representation of the amp.

2. When I’m playing the better it sounds to me the more I enjoy playing. I have enjoyed SVT’s over the years, along with some other amps. I usually have my amp dialed to sound pretty much like my instrument, and I hope FOH does too.

3. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Pretty much any analogy will break down if you get overly pedantic :bored:.

I still personally think the tractor analogy is more apt than the Corvette analogy, but YMMV.

I don't actually have a problem with the Corvette analogy; however, the apparent hubris of this statement bothered me :eek::

:rollno:

4. SC Bassboy

SC Bassboy Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    I cannot praise the Ampeg V4B enough. It's "only" 100 watts but that to me is in the sweet spot of being loud enough to gig with while also breaking up nicely. The 300 watt SVT classic sounds great but it's so damn loud I had trouble getting it to saturate the way I wanted without it shaking buildings for two blocks.

As to the cabinets you should know that the Classic 410HLF was redesigned a couple of years ago to address the "loose" bottom end. Supposedly the newer ones sound a lot better. I can tell you that I owned one of the older 410HLF cabs and sold it because of the sloppy bass response and overall dark nature of it's sound. I replaced it with a newer Heritage 410HLF that is simply amazing.

I also own a SVT 212AV (barely 50lbs. I carry it with one hand) that is very detailed and sounds wonderful BUT it doesn't have thick lows, it is more of a low-mid cabinet. It sits on top of my Heritage 410HLF with a V4B powering them and that rig does everything well. Deep powerful lows, clear midrange and sweet top end. If I could only keep one cabinet it would be the Heritage 410HLF.

All that being said, my favorite cabinet is still my trusty SWR Megoliath. It is designed as two 410's built into one 8x10 cabinet. You can run the upper 410 separate from the bottom 410 and IMO it has no negatives aside from they are no longer in production and you would have to find a used one. That would be a challenge though as I've tried to find another one for years now with no luck.

Mastermold and Wasnex like this.
  5. Phil508

Phil508

Feb 19, 2012
    Central MASS
    My Friend uses an SVT with 2-2x12 cabs and it sounds great. But I don't want to lug my SVT so I use the V4b RI and 2x12" +2x15" Schroeder's. (easier to move and half the weight of the SVT) V4B and 4 cabs.jpg

Grinderman and Mastermold like this.
  6. Sparkl

Sparkl

Apr 23, 2011
    Europe
    Didn't even read the reasoning.

The answer is yes. You won't look back. I have yet to hear anything come close to the tube Ampegs when it comes to the "sit right where you need it to" sound.

Mastermold likes this.
  7. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2010
    los angeles
    7 pro rocks, but the 410hlf is a one trick pony. It’s a nice trick, but i prefer the sealed cab sound of the 810 or 410he. I ended up with a 15” three way cab.

8. quickervicar

quickervicar Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    I've been a gigging bassist for many, many years but never had the opportunity to try an SVT before I bought my Heritage. I was always on the wrong stage when they were backline or they were sold out in the music stores. They were absolutely elusive my entire life. I was familiar with the Ampeg sound as I'd toured with an early SVT-3Pro for several years and loved that head.

So I bought a used Heritage off of Reverb. It is everything I thought it would be. No regrets here. That being said, I'd consider changing out that HLF for another cab while you're at it. Berg 610 or 412, Barefaced 610, etc.

Mastermold likes this.
  9. Old Fart

Old Fart

Mar 11, 2011
    Me too.

Wasnex likes this.
  10. Old Fart

Old Fart

Mar 11, 2011
    This stack of cabinets was assembled to make OCD people insane.

Rich67 likes this.
  11. Similar experience here. Tried it at a NAMM show for the first time and realized what I’d been missing.

quickervicar likes this.
  12. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    i went from svt 7 pro to svt cl and it is better.

rodl2005 likes this.
  13. Ampslut

Ampslut Supporting Member

May 15, 2017
    The SVT and tube amps in general tend to work better with a sealed cabinet like the venerable 8x10 cab made for that head. The 410HLF is notorious for having a loose boomy low end that is accentuated by tube amps like the SVT. Like the above post states, try before you buy.

Wasnex likes this.
  14. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    It is true that some ported cabs don't work well with certain tube amps. But I think you are missing out on some really wonderful possibilities if you don't at least try. All of my cabs are ported, and there are some really nice amp/cab combinations in my collection.

quickervicar and rodl2005 like this.
  15. shadven

shadven Twang-tastic Bass Player and Song Writer Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I rock, therefore I am.
    Buy my Ampeg SVT VR. It’s mint and made in the USA. Lightly gigged. I’m getting ready to put it up for sale.

16. Grinderman

Grinderman

Dec 21, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Considering this topic makes my back hurt.

baxter_x likes this.
  17. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    You would need a DI between the power section and the cab to send the power tubes in the PA. I think that exists.

It's also heavy and the bulkiest 810 you can find.
    I wanted one for years! But couldn't find one neither. So I chose the Fender bass man neo 810.
    Two weeks later, I found an add for a Megoliath almost new! I decided to try it. It's a great cab but the Fender sound at least as good, wayyyyy lighter and less bulky.

rodl2005 likes this.
  18. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    In what way? I compared it to the 2 pro a several times and I felt it was sounding the same.

19. hbabels

hbabels Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    So I just recently got an amazing deal on an SVT classic so I took the plunge …. It’s far and away the BEST SOUNDING bass amp I’ve ever owned! Perfect for the style of music you describe. If you can afford it and don’t mind the weight of moving it…. Go for it ! It has a weight and balls to the tone that is pretty unmatched.

20. We all got different ears. But for me, output toobs! Just no feel like it from a good all tube amp. Super Bassman, SVT, AD200B. Imo

baxter_x likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 17, 2021