Buy Ampeg SVT Classic 300w head??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mike Carter, Oct 13, 2021 at 3:42 AM.

1. jastacey

jastacey

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    I might ask, what sound are you looking for? As a bassist

2. HLF cab has a woolly mushy low end, SVT isn't going to change that. I don't like the cab personally, I prefer sealed cabs with SVT's like the Berg NV412 or 610.

rodl2005 likes this.
  3. Levin S

Levin S Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Charlotte N.C.
    I picked up an SVT-CL and a 410 HEN for a great price earlier this year.

I’ve had a 610 HLF in the past and have played through many a backline 410 HLF as well and I have to say the HEN seems much more conducive to the SVT ‘sound’ in my head. Also worth noting, from what I understand, the HEN is just an HE with a neutrik jack.

I never had a HPF to put before any of the HLF cabs, but the idea seems airtight and definitely worth trying.

good luck!

4. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    That is exactly my experience too. The clean tone was the same. But the 7 pro was way lighter and way more powerful.
    To me the 7 pro is a fantastic amp! It doesn't look that way but in fact in terms of tone and design it's just perfect! What an amp!

5. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    Really consider the 7 pro, trust me. Cheaper, way easier to carry. The only thing the 7 pro can't do compared to the CL is grit.

6. Old Fart

Old Fart

Mar 11, 2011
    Money is not an issue. There is no more iconic rig than SVT + 810E. I love mine. Once in your life, you should try it. They can be had for not that much money, gently used, and then you can just sell them if they don't make you giggle like a school girl.

All that said, the SVT + 810E rig weighs the same as a small neutron star.

Treblefree, Geri O, JackNasty and 3 others like this.
  7. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    Ton me this cab is just average.pretry much what the Jack Daniel is to whiskey.
    Both icons but reality, just average IMO.

8. Analogeezer

Analogeezer

Jul 29, 2021
    Well I think that was laid out pretty well in the first paragraph:

Analogeezer

9. Zak TMD

Zak TMD

Apr 22, 2016
    Outside of the heart of darkness, Washington, DC
    Breaking even is the new making money.
    I use an SVT Classic on an 810 at practices when I don't feel like bringing my own stuff. It gets the job done for sure - I prefer my own head but still, it's hard to go wrong with an SVT, plus when the used market stabilizes, you can usually grab them relatively inexpensively all day long.

As a rule I don't like 10s very much as the mids and lows just don't have the oomf I'm looking for... that's all personal preference, but to that end I got a big 412 built, and I love it... but the Aguilar 412 is pretty rad too (if heavier).

10. Old Fart

Old Fart

Mar 11, 2011
    Jack Daniels is sour mash. Different animal. So is the 810 cab. A wall of high-impedance drivers. Very different approach compared to a couple of low-impedance drivers in a small box. Like a tractor compared to a race car.

Passinwind likes this.
  11. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    To me all the 810 from other brands are way better (fender, Mesa, Aguilar.....). But again just IMO.

SC Bassboy likes this.
  12. Analogeezer

Analogeezer

Jul 29, 2021
    That's a horrible comparison, a tractor is designed to plow fields and do farm work. A race car is designed to race on a track. Actually race cars generally make very poor street cars.

A SVT compared to a modern cabinet is more like a 1970 big block Corvette compared to a modern one.

They essentially do the same thing, the modern Corvette just does "more" of it.

But if you want the vibe and mojo that come with a 1970 big block Corvette, you will never find that with a modern Corvette; it's just not the same.

Analogeezer

TrentB likes this.
  13. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    I fully agreed with you input!

14. Old Fart

Old Fart

Mar 11, 2011
    That's a good analogy. Perhaps we could use a '70 Hemi Cuda compared to a Bugatti Veyron. The modern Veyron makes way more power than the Cuda and gets to 60 mph in the blink of an eye. But some might think the Cuda is considerably more fun to drive. I know of plenty of Porsche guys who have sold their ultra-fast modern 911 and purchased an older one instead. Because of the fun factor.

15. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    @Old Fart The tractor analogy made perfect sense to me :thumbsup:. Big, heavy, powerful, etc, VS fast, precise, and responsive.

Some people do describe the 810 as fast and punchy, but that's not how it feels to me. To me, playing the cab sort of feels like I am dragging something big and heavy through mud.

Or maybe you will get this reference:
    1*DDsOx6D3oe8ZxcA-OTfIDA.jpg

Passinwind, SC Bassboy and baxter_x like this.
  16. Old Fart

Old Fart

Mar 11, 2011
    I am one of those people, Wasnex. ;) Your contributions on TB get my full respect and appreciation. And yes, some folks do consider the 810 to be mighty punchy. Those little 10", 32-Ohm drivers are quick, some say. Certainly low mass. And then when you get eight of them together, you get some boom. Snap and boom.

Wasnex likes this.
  17. I’m a fan of the SVT on the 212AV. No hoist up on an 810 but the 212 is voiced similar so I’m still hearing what I want. Been using SVTs for most everything I do since about 2008. It’s a lifetime amp for me. 144F24CA-34A2-4BB7-A955-5B2A823AB44F.jpeg 2F4C343C-EA69-4D9C-8F53-448A75B3964A.jpeg

Attached Files:

Rich67, Corigan, rodl2005 and 2 others like this.
  18. Analogeezer

Analogeezer

Jul 29, 2021
    Actually tractors (even modern ones) are not that powerful, not at all. They have a lot of torque, rev low and extremely low gearing. A tractor analogy would be a 20 watt tube head into a speaker cabinet that was so efficient you got 130 dB out of one watt.

Not to mention MODERN tractors are actually quite high tech and extremely expensive but no stock tractor ever made was "fast or powerful".

Analogeezer

19. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 vaxx! Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2006
    North AMERICA, USA
    I’ve used a 410HLF for years with a few different heads including the SVT 2PRO (all tube) and I would disagree that it sounds sloppy or overly boomy. It sounds awesome with a mic on it in the studio and and live it handles very high SPLs without issue. I’d say get yourself the SVT and see for yourself how it sounds with the 410HLF. No, it doesn’t sound quite as good as an 810, but that’s ok. Keep in mind that there aren’t a ton of choices for a 4 ohm 4x10” bass cabinet.

20. Analogeezer

Analogeezer

Jul 29, 2021
    Well not quite, a Veyron actually weighs MORE than a Hemi-Cuda, about the same as a current Challenger and those are very heavy cars (over 4,200 pounds).

Spot on with the Porsche thing, I have a very good friend who is a serial Porsche owner, started with a 986 550SE Boxster, sold that after about 8 years and bought a used 996 Turbo. Both were with manuals, this was before the vaunted PDK dual clutch transmission was available.

At great expense he factory ordered a new 991.1 GTS, because it was destined to be the last normally aspirated Porsche, other than the GT3. This guy tracks his cars a lot, probably 4 to 6 times a year.

He ordered PDK with the GTS because that was the ****, or so it seemed. So he takes delivery of the car (he factory ordered it with very specific options, like no sunroof) and for the first month he loved it. But he said the PDK just sucked the joy out of it and he rarely drove the PDK in full auto mode.

He said in full auto mode it was even more soulless than using the paddles to manually shift.

He said on the track it was prescient; knew exactly when to downshift, when to upshift, blipped the throttle just right, you didn't have to touch it in fact touching it made you go slower.

But for him it was too much perfection, and he missed the interaction of the manual.

So he sold the 991.1 GTS after about a year and bought a very lightly used 981 GT4 Cayman. He has owned that car about four years now and just loves it. Has zero plans to sell it and says getting back to a manual was just right for him.

While the PDK was perfect he said it was too much like driving a car in a video game, all you had to do was to steer and hit the brakes and the gas.

He's far from the only guy who bought a PDK equipped Porsche and had regrets, that is one reason they still offer manuals, people still want them in a Porsche.

Analogeezer

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 17, 2021